Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

FORGED INTERNALS...TURBO

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Default FORGED INTERNALS...TURBO

Anyone know any good manufactures for forged pistons and rods.. im in the process of turboing my 98 2.0 tiburon thanks

Old 10-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Administrator
Default RE: FORGED INTERNALS...TURBO

ummm...are you buying the turbo in a kit from some company? if so, do they offer them? if not, i think that RippMods might, but i dont care for their company in general.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

I have made my own internals for that block so if you let me know what you want I may be able to help.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:57 PM

im building my own turbo kit, i have a dsm turbo w/ wastegate, bov, manifold, gauges and stuff.. my tiburon is allllll apart in my garage down to bare block if you could lemme no what pistons you made? that woudl be aweosme

Old 10-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

There are lots of factors and personal preferences that apply. How much boost do you want to run? Are you going to change something other than pistons, rings,rods,etc...? Depending on ammount of boost how much compression you are willing to chance?

Old 10-22-2005, 07:56 PM

im looking to run over 15 psi
i need these:
-8.5:1 or 9.0:1 compression forged pistons (stock diameter)
-forged rods
-dsm 16g turbine (i have a 14b compressor)
-front mount intercooler
-blow off valve (i have already)
-injectors...i dont know what size tho
-manifold (i kinda have)
-internal wastegate (i have already)
-boost controller (they are cheap, under hood ones because its just a bleeder screw basically)
-intercooler piping
-oil coolant lines(to and from turbo)
-boost gauge,a/f ratio(i have), and apexi safc

(thank god for ebay)

Old 10-22-2005, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

You have a couple of options here. You can go for a higher compression piston, or a lengthened set of rods. either way you should be able to build compression this way. A good option is a very High compression piston once you have them machine the center about two tenths on each piston that will drop you to the 9.0:1 range. make sure you machine each evenly or you will scatter the block. That would be a safe bet you should be able to cut down alot of turbo lag too. If you have the car as a daily driver pushiong a constant 15 lbs. I would drop the comp to 8.5:1 for reliability. You have a nice list of mods but one thing that I noticed was missing is fuel delivery. You have injectors but that may not be enough depending on your ECU settings. If you are using injectors in the 1500cc range you may have to obtain a fuel rail. AEM makes one that should do fine. SOOOOOOO.... get some forged pistons, check weisco, if they are flat tops then have the centers ground down. ANy more questions let me know.

Old 10-24-2005, 02:21 PM

wiseco only makes over sized pistons (larger diameter) and the machine shop i deal with will charge $240 to bore each cylinder so im not sure about that

Old 10-24-2005, 02:23 PM

my biggest problem is rods... i cant find forged rods... can i do something to my rods to make them stronger? and eagle rods don't make custom rods so i couldn't even send them out

Old 10-24-2005, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

To be honest there really isn't a way to improve a stock rods strength but the stock rods should be able to hold up to the boost. The only time you really needed beefed rods is super high compression or boost. Or if you are increasing RPM's to like 8000 or up

Quick Reply: FORGED INTERNALS...TURBO