General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

04 Elantra GT heater not working and temp. gauge is in the red

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Default 04 Elantra GT heater not working and temp. gauge is in the red

For the last week I noticed that my heat was acting funny. It would take a long time for it to blow hot air and then it would blow hot/cold. Now it is not blowing any hot air and my temp gauge is all the way in the red, even when I drive the car for 5 minutes. I cooled the car and topped it off with anti-freeze to the fill line, took it for a drive around the block and still have the same problem. No heat and temp gauge is all the way in the red. Any ideas what it could be?

Rebecca

Old 10-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Default RE: 04 Elantra GT heater not working and temp. gauge is in the red

Yes, it appears the coolant level is low in the radiator. You can continue to pour coolant into the overflow tank, which will eventually be pulled into the radiator but that is a slow process when the system is substantially low.

With the engine cold and not running, remove the radiator cap and pour a 50/50 mix of coolant directly into the radiator filling it up to the neck. Leave the cap off and start the engine. Set the temperature control in the car all the way up into the red zone. The level in the radiator will drop as the pump circulates coolant to voids in the engine and the heater core. Top it off immediately. Do this for 1 or 2 minutes until the radiator stops taking fluid. Replace the radiator cap and make sure it is sealed tight. Let the engine continue to idle for a few minutes. If all is working properly, the radiator fan will eventually come on and start cycling. You should have heat in the car. If you have the tank too full to begin with, some fluid may leak out the top as it expands from the heat generated by the engine. That should subside almost immediately.

If the engine starts to boil over through the tank, shut the engine off and let it cool. Check if coolant appears to be leaking underneath the car (other than from the top of the tank). Note whether or not the electric fan came on or not. You may have a problem with the cooling fan, a bad water pump or sticking thermostat to deal with, which would explain why the coolant level was low to begin with.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Default RE: 04 Elantra GT heater not working and temp. gauge is in the red

When all is said and done with the problem I would do or get a coolant flush done. As you most likely know overheating a motor can waste a good car.
Good luck and please write back with the results.