General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake Lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 08:00 PM
Default Brake Lights not working

Hi! I have a 2002 Elantra GT and just recently both brake lights stopped working. The center one in the rear window still does though. I've checked bulbs, fuses and even replaced the switch behind the brake pedal...still no workie. Anyone have a clue before I have to take it into the shop?

Thanks!
Steve

Old 07-17-2005, 11:42 PM
Default RE: Brake Lights not working

Are you sure you are replacing the brake light bulbs with a 1157 dual element bulb? If so then you need to get a test light and install a bar between the seat and brake pedal to hold the brake on. Test for voltage at the rear socket assy. If it has voltage check for a ground . You wont have one or the other. The schematic for that circuit shows the 3rd brake light share the same ground as the left rear. the right rear has its own ground and they all get power from the same source.so if the third is working its not the switch.
Test for voltage at the socket connectors and let us know.

Old 07-19-2005, 02:28 PM

It was the bulbs...duh! Thanks for the tips!

Old 07-26-2006, 10:02 AM

Hi,

Hope someone can help me with a similar problem. I have a 1999 Sonata 2.5(UK model) and my brake lights are gone too! (All 3 of them including the spoiler mounted led one). I checked the bulbs and the filaments are intact - next I checked the interior fuse box and the STOP LT fuse is ok(I assume this is the one relating to the brakes!) It's gotta be the brake light switch I thought so I investigated and found there were 4 terminals to my surprise - even the guy in the car spares shop was puzzled. It wasn't till later that I realised that 2 of the terminals must be for the cruise control which still disengages when you press the brake pedal. Is it possible that half the switch is bust?? I hope that is the case as if it is a wiring problem that is going to be difficult to find. I know the easy thing to do would be to replace the switch but it would be annoying if that were not the problem...anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:06 PM

Replaced the brake light switch today and bingo! All is fine again...I am still quite annoyed that such a thing could fail as it could have been potentially very dangerous as you don't know your brake lights aren't working until someone tells you or runs into the back of you!