General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

burning smell at start up 01 tiburon

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Default burning smell at start up 01 tiburon

Problem: Temporary burning smell (oil like) with cold starts. Smell is so strong that I cannot turn on the defrost or fan b/c it brings the smell into the driver compartment. This has been on going for last 3 months. After a few minutes smell dissipates, but does return on occasion. I can smell this coming from the engine bay if the hood is popped. Occasional condensation visible under oil filler cap, but oil changed recently and this did not help the problem

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 98 000kms. PCV valve replaced 2 months ago-which solved the check engine light. Took vehicle into local shop yesterday, they couldn't find the cause, noting there didn't seem to be oil leaking on the manifold, and that the rear of the headgasket was only weeping-if that, but not onto any exhaust component that would be hot enough to cause oil to burn. Heater core seems fine. Any ideas? Please help...the smell makes me nauseous.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by tib01
Problem: Temporary burning smell (oil like) with cold starts. Smell is so strong that I cannot turn on the defrost or fan b/c it brings the smell into the driver compartment. This has been on going for last 3 months. After a few minutes smell dissipates, but does return on occasion. I can smell this coming from the engine bay if the hood is popped. Occasional condensation visible under oil filler cap, but oil changed recently and this did not help the problem

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 98 000kms. PCV valve replaced 2 months ago-which solved the check engine light. Took vehicle into local shop yesterday, they couldn't find the cause, noting there didn't seem to be oil leaking on the manifold, and that the rear of the headgasket was only weeping-if that, but not onto any exhaust component that would be hot enough to cause oil to burn. Heater core seems fine. Any ideas? Please help...the smell makes me nauseous.
Look for a pin hole leak on the power steering pressure hose. When you turn the wheel so far, it sprays a small amount fluid on or near the exhaust. I had a Maxima with the very same symptoms and this was the problem. We (my son and I) figured it was particularly bad when the motor was cold because the exhaust wasn't hot enough to smoke the oil until after it had been sprayed a few times and by then a whole gob had accumulated.

Last edited by ken99; 03-25-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:10 PM

your car has to have an oil leak. the reason it happens on cold starts is because that is after the car hads been sitting for while, so oil builds up somwhere on your engine, and when you start it the oil burns off. take it to another mechanic and ask them to check for any oil leaks.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 PM

Look for oil near the top of the motor. Look under the plastic junk if your motor has it. Open the hood before you first start it and smell around. Look for small amount of smoke anywhere.

Good luck

Old 04-15-2009, 03:07 PM

Did you ever find the leak, or what?