General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Funny noise from Excel

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Default Funny noise from Excel

Hi there. I have a 2000 Excel, and it's recently started making an odd noise when driving. Sometimes, but not all of the time, when driving straight, or turning left, there is a noise from the left front wheel area. It stops when you turn right though. It's not easy to describe, but it sounds like something is rubbing. Sort of like it would sound if a mud flap or something was touching the wheel sometimes. As the car speeds up, the noise increases in frequency. It's like a "shh shh shh shh" sort of noise, if that makes any sense! I've walked alongside the car as it's doing it, and it's definately from the front left area, but having had the car up on axle stands and had the good wife running it whilst moving the wheels, I can find nothing obvious wrong.
C.V joint boot is in one piece, no mud flap fitted, wheel arch liner in place, front brake disc is slightly warped, but nothing too bad, can't see anything rubbing on anything, and I've looked all the way from where the driveshaft leaves the gearbox to the brake disc. Tyre is in good condition (not very old), with good pressure, and nothing stuck in it. Just don't know where to go from here, as we should be selling the car in the next week or 2, so don't really want to start splashing out loads of cash on it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.......