General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

shaking problem almost solved!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 07:12 AM

First thing to do is to read the diagnostic trouble codes that are stored in the ECM (electronic control module)
Can be done at some Auto parts stores (mostly for free)
Get the code and google the PXXXX code
Remember safety first!!!
Do a visual inspection of engine bay.
Run engine. See if it is shaking.
If it is then may be need to do some basic maintenance??
Run engine and have some one put their foot on the brake and rev engine in gear (not too high rpms).
Watch motor mounts for movement. Excessive movement means they need some attention??
Dim then bright then back to normal?? Could possibly be the alternator??
If the bearings on the pulley of the alternator is failing then it could potentially cause engine shaking and headlight dimming??

Old 08-01-2020, 07:42 AM

I agree with "avisitor" regarding a possible alternator problem.

It's good that folks check here for possible solutions, but I don't see many posts where the owner took the vehicle to be checked.
You know what that tells us, they didn't do it. You can get some ideas and possible fixes over the net, but the majority of the time it requires a visual , in person , series of checks to rule out the possibilities.
Even some techs get lured into the trap of , Oh I had one with a problem like that and we need to do this or that , and they were wrong.
Every case is different and needs to be judged on it's own merits.
They just haven't invented the tool yet that tells what is wrong and how to repair the problem. It still takes some investigating and checking . Sometimes we can throw out a suggestion or two and hit the nail on the head. The correct answer is , "Test Don't Guess"..
Some folks describe an engine misfire as shaking , but it takes a little experience to differentiate if it is a misfire problem, or motor mount problem or fuel control problem.
Again, I apologize if I offended anyone, but Just trying to shed some light on the situation, Thanks.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:01 PM

Yes, Hanky is right.
Test Don't Guess.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:55 AM

Thank yall so much! I didn't want all this to be a waste

Old 08-02-2020, 03:23 PM

Thank you for getting back to us.
You received some good suggestions, the question now is ; what if anything have you considered doing about the problem.
.If you aren't sure , maybe we can offer some other suggestions , within your scope of capability meaning how close to free code reads, if you have the time to follow through and keep at the problem. It never hurts to get other opinions, just accumulate as much info as you can and the decision you make will/should hopefully prevent you from shelling out a lot of $$$ and the vehicle still might have the same problem. If it will provide any peace of mind, from what symptoms you describe you shouldn't get stuck, but if ignored long enough could get expensive to correct. What do you think?

Old 01-22-2021, 11:25 PM
Question

Originally Posted by Kenee
I have been experiencing a similar issue with my 2013 Hyundai Elantra 2door. The “check engine” light has since come on. Not sure if I should continue driving the car with its current transmission problem? I think everyone with this issue in their car should come out and petition Hyundai to recall all models affected!
I still have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra - same problem. Did you get your problem resolved? What was it?

Old 01-23-2021, 11:10 AM

It seems we have the same problem with a few vehicles and from what I read in the posts folks are not following a good path to at least get some idea of what is going on.

There are so many possible causes for poor performance and if it was something simple, which in many cases it can be , repair shops would be out of business.
Something as simple as poor quality fuel, fuel contaminated with water,, a fuel filter that has been ignored and not replaced on a regular schedule, these are simple inexpensive items to be checked and yet everybody is getting unbelievable reasons for a problem when a possible simple fix.is all that may be required.
There are certain steps that are required to be followed to lead to a good diagnosis and yet from what I read here,people are always looking for that "Silver Bullet"
Advice over the net can be good and , well ,,,otherwise too. If you can find a good shop with a good reputation, that is more than half the battle.
We are all trying to spend as little as possible and there is nothing bad about that, but regular good maintenance usually prevents a lot of problems.
It should be called Programmed Maintenance because you will do it or have it done sooner or later and sometimes too late can get very expensive.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:09 AM
Default 2016 Accent with the shakes

Originally Posted by hanky
It seems we have the same problem with a few vehicles and from what I read in the posts folks are not following a good path to at least get some idea of what is going on.

There are so many possible causes for poor performance and if it was something simple, which in many cases it can be , repair shops would be out of business.
Something as simple as poor quality fuel, fuel contaminated with water,, a fuel filter that has been ignored and not replaced on a regular schedule, these are simple inexpensive items to be checked and yet everybody is getting unbelievable reasons for a problem when a possible simple fix.is all that may be required.
There are certain steps that are required to be followed to lead to a good diagnosis and yet from what I read here,people are always looking for that "Silver Bullet"
Advice over the net can be good and , well ,,,otherwise too. If you can find a good shop with a good reputation, that is more than half the battle.
We are all trying to spend as little as possible and there is nothing bad about that, but regular good maintenance usually prevents a lot of problems.
It should be called Programmed Maintenance because you will do it or have it done sooner or later and sometimes too late can get very expensive.
Spoiler

Last edited by Lesley Nankivell; 04-09-2021 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:42 PM
Thumbs up I had the same problem.

OP's problem sounds identical to mine I had last month. I have a 2010 accent with over 100K miles on it. As OP states my car would shake at red lights or whenever I was in gear and stopped. More so when the car was warmed up, in reverse, or more so when the a.c. was on. That's how it started. After a few weeks a new symptom was it'd shake several times while accelerating up to highway speeds.
I brought it in to the dealership, they scanned it while driving and said my car was having multiple small misfires on all four cylinders. Small enough not to trigger a check engine light. They said they'd need to change the ignition coils and spark plugs to rule that out before going further.
I just replaced the coils as my spark plugs were newer and the problem is gone!

I see what y'all say about how people don't get a proper diagnosis and share, so I wanted to do my part. I looked all over the internet for answers to this problem originally. I thought it was the transmission.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the update, always great to hear problem has been solved.

Quick Reply: shaking problem almost solved!