Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

02 accent: transmission acting up and cel 0121 (tps)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 05:43 PM

ok so i checked the pulse generator even though i didn't think that was the problem.
they are fine.
i cleaned the map sensor, i was covered in oil and there was a film of oil on the inside of the intake mani.
i also removed the pcv valve to see if it was clogged (while i'm there) it was fine, but a little dirty. i cleaned it off.

i noticed the iacv is making a buzzing noise, is this normal or could it be broken?
i've never noticed the noise before, but i'm hardly under the hood of this car.
i've never had an iacv on one of my cars make noise like that. i know they click when they open, but this is a buzzing noise.
i'm going to try to get a video of it

Old 02-08-2009, 05:55 PM

here is the video, it's not as loud as the video makes it out to be. sorry for the blur in the video, i wasn't trying to focus on anything. just trying to get the sound.

also the sound changes if i wiggle the plug, you can see this in the video

Old 02-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Banned

Oh wow, that's really bizzare. That's what the problem is, or at least one problem. It's not supposed to make noise like that. Obviously it has power. Not sure if it is actually bad or if the ecm is making faulty commands from faulty information from another part or sensor. There is a test for it on the hmaservice website.

Here's a new one:

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkw...romZR40QQ_mdoZ

To look for a junkyard in your area that might have one, see the car-part.com website, it allows you to search for junkyards and shows you what wrecks they have.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Banned

Try to unplug it, how does your car run that way? Probably it will throw a code, just disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to wipe out the code info and turn off the "check engine". That way, with it unplugged, you can see if it will throw a code again.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by jsinton
Try to unplug it, how does your car run that way? Probably it will throw a code, just disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to wipe out the code info and turn off the "check engine". That way, with it unplugged, you can see if it will throw a code again.
so i guess this sensor is called a idle speed actuator not an idle air control valve.

thanks for the posts,
i'm going to try unplugging it tomorrow, i am also going test it to make sure it is in spec.
i already know there is something wrong with it.

funny thing, when i searched the hmaservice site for idle speed actuator it came back with a tsb for harsh transmission. it said to make sure the idle speed actuator was working correctly.

hoping this might be the fix i need.
after searching i've found that the 03-07 tib and the 00-05 accent use the same one. i'm pretty sure there is at least one of these cars in the junk yard. i think i know someone with a tib that would probably let me swap his for a few mins.

kinda strange that it thru a 121 code and not the code for the isa.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Banned

Keep me posted. It's really interesting stuff.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:26 PM

i hate interesting stuff, i like old cars cause they are easy.

i unplugged the isa and there was no cel. i didn't check the port with my reader, but the light didn't come on. tomorrow i'm going to use my code reader to see if it did throw a code and just didn't light up for some reason.

car didn't run any different with it unplugged. i drove it around for 20 mins and it was exactly the same. no worse, no better.

tomorrow i'm going to hit up the junkyard for a sensor, unless it's raining hard. on days it rains it's 50% off, but if it's raining too bad it sucks walking around in the mud

Old 02-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Banned

Personally I like going to junkyards myself. Should be ok even if it's raining since this part is so easy to get to. I'm surprised there was not some change when you unplugged it.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:34 PM

i love going to the junkyards, just not when it's raining.

i think the reason there was no change when i unplugged it was because it's broke.

since that is broke you can't break it more. unplugging it caused no change.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Banned

So what happened? Did you find a junk one?

Quick Reply: 02 accent: transmission acting up and cel 0121 (tps)