Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2000 Accent idle air controller

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Default 2000 Accent idle air controller

My Accent is due for E test, have been told my iac is crucial for passing result. I'd be grateful if someone could give me its exact location. (think I know) & if it is leaking air can it be sealed? (liquid gasket?) Or any insights to ensure positive e test.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by guitar1
My Accent is due for E test, have been told my iac is crucial for passing result. I'd be grateful if someone could give me its exact location. (think I know) & if it is leaking air can it be sealed? (liquid gasket?) Or any insights to ensure positive e test.
See graphic for location of the idle speed control accuator (ISA). If the ISA was malfunctioning or had a gasket air leak, the engine control module would detect an error with the check engine light on all the time. If the car is running normal and the CEL is not on, I wouldn't screw with the ISA to address a problem that doesn't exist.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Accent  idle air controller-efdd301l.gif  
Old 06-02-2009, 11:02 PM

Thank you for help. The car is running normal but cel is on. i was told engine idles to low due (in part) to ISA issue. I'll do some more trouble shooting before I act. Any prep or "tricks"you can recommend to promote successful E test?

Old 06-03-2009, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by guitar1
Thank you for help. The car is running normal but cel is on. i was told engine idles to low due (in part) to ISA issue. I'll do some more trouble shooting before I act. Any prep or "tricks"you can recommend to promote successful E test?
The "trick" is have all components working as designed. You need to know exactly what error or errors are associated with the CEL, and that means connecting the car to a scantool to extract the codes. Many auto parts stores will do this for you (jsinton always recommends Autozone, I have my own cheap scanner). Most independent mechanics will do this for a minimal fee, sometimes free if you have them do the repair work. If the ISA is at fault, it could be it needs a simple cleaning. It never hurts to double check all the harness connections, making sure the contacts are solid with the device. Worse case scenario with the ISA is a failing stepper motor which usually means replacement. Download the error codes and find out exactly what the problem is first. Crappy idle could also involve an O2 sensor, the MAP sensor, air intake temp sensor, a leaking vacuum line, etc.