Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2012 ACCENT Anyone Have ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:06 PM

David, I agree.
Stopping only once a mile is a luxury in city driving. More like stopping every quarter to half mile *minimum* with other slow-downs and braking events due to lane changes, other drivers, congestion, etc..

In a few days I'm probably going to visit someone about 70 miles from me. The trip will be over 90% highway, and due to LA being a ghost town during Thanksgiving, I shouldn't have much traffic to contend with. I'll set the cruise for 65 and see what numbers come up. I'm HOPING I'll be pleased.

Nova, you make perfect sense.. I was just hoping that with my conservative driving style I'd be rewarded with more than just 30mpg. Apparently people who drive the Accent like most of the 'accelerate-up-to-red-lights and other stupid driving habits' drivers that surround me should expect more like 25-34 mpg in the new Accent. When I see people bragging about 41, 45, and so on mpg, I get jealous!

However, I read elsewhere (cleanmpg.com) that a car's optimal fuel efficiency won't be reached until the engine is really broken in at 3-5,000 miles. We shall see.

Last edited by Marathon Blue SE; 11-22-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: added information due to previously unseen reply
Old 11-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Well, crusing at 65 will lower MPG slightly. However, you are correct about the mileage getting better as the engine loosens up a little. The fuel economy on all my Hyundai's increased as the miles built up. It leveled off around 4,000 miles.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Default mpg

My gas mileage has gone down hill I have just over 6000 miles and avg 27 mpg per tank
With my 2008 yaris I got 34 mpg in the summer and 31 in the winter using the remote start all the time and driving it much harder
This is on the same commute I've been driving for over 15 years

Haven't had any more opportunities to take a long highway trip to see it will get 40 mpg like it did new.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:28 PM

I have witnessed this rising fuel economy already, and I'm just under 300 total miles on the car. I drove all city miles last night, and my *overall* tank average climbed from 29.8 to 31 even. Granted, I am practicing extremely conservative driving techniques.. coasting to traffic lights, accelerating about 1/2 to 3/4 the rate of the average driver (often to the chagrin of my fellow impatient drivers.. I'm learning to ignore the tailgaters and 'zoom-by-in-anger-ers'). I also put the car in neutral while stopped at traffic lights... not sure if that helps, but I think I read that somewhere.

Donc, it is discouraging to hear that your mpg is declining. Not to be condescending, but is everything well-maintained? Tire pressure at or above recommendation? Driving habits changed?

David, thanks for mentioning Fuelly.com. I made a profile on there, and will be using the mobile site (via iphone) to track my mileage and gas consumption. Will report the results here once I've filled a few tanks and can compare the computer to real-world math.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:56 AM

ya everything is well-maintained

The computer is way off, its usually 3mpg+ over real world you'll see when you fill up.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:09 PM

My MPG computer has been consistently off by an average of 2 mpg over the course of 10,000 miles now.
If it says 32mpg, then the real world math will show 30mpg.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:37 AM

Hey guys!

I just bought a 2012 Accent Elite model (sorry i am Australian but its the middle model!) White and the darkest legal tint over here and it will be coming in 7 days :0. I am just curious as to how the speakers sound and how bright the lights are.

Anything would be great!

Old 12-05-2011, 12:42 PM

Hi Jazz,

The speakers are fine, I'm not an audio enthusiaist but they seem quite OK.
I like the lights (exterior), especially the low beams which light up alot of all in front of you.
Mileage averages 32.7 mpg, I was expecting better since most of my driving is closer to hoighway than city, in my opinion.
Handling good, it's a firm ride.
Let's us know your experiences.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:20 PM

The front speakers sound good, but the rear speakers are kinda weak. I have the model with the XM radio and CD if that matters.
The headlights are good. If you're fortunate enough to get the fog lights, you should know that they do good job of helping to light up the sides of the car where you turn. I haven't had a chance to test them for fog yet though.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:29 AM

Jazz, it's a pretty darn good audio system considering it comes standard. It is a bit of a downgrade for me however, I had a 2001 Jetta VR6 with the Monsoon premium audio, and that thing *kicked*. I'm at a 'smoother' place in my life now though, so perhaps I don't need the neighborhood to hear my music and I don't need to be all zippy and gas-wasting around town. [When I have money to spare I will probably add a sub though, lol]

Like 2012 said, the foglights are great, if you have them on that model. It's a nice unexpected convenience for me.. in residential areas of LA, addresses are painted on the curb (or even on the ground) next to the driveway. They're usually impossible to see at night.. but not with the fogs on

As other have said, if you keep track of your mileage 'manually' it will be 1-3 mpg lower than the computer states. Kinda sucks. I have heard however, that mileage will improve with age.
Here's a mileage tip: wherever and whenever you can cruise at around 45mph (~70 kmph?), *do it*. You'll be in 6th gear at low rpms and your mpg will soar. Trouble for me is, I rarely have that opportunity. I'm about 90% city, half of which is congested traffic and/or hills, and when I do get on the freeway it's the same as driving city. That's Los Angeles for ya.

There are tons of great (and completely legal) gas-saving tips to be found all over the internet, from tire pressure, driving technique, etc.. If you want to get the best mpgs out of the car, incorporate as many as practically possible. I'm convinced that if I drove like a 'normal' driver, in my conditions, I'd be getting around 27-28 mpg, but as it is I'm getting just above 30.

Anyway, it's a great car, handles well, and the ride is much quieter (and smoother) than my buddy's Honda Fit! haha!

Quick Reply: 2012 ACCENT Anyone Have ???