Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2012 ACCENT Anyone Have ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:57 PM

Hi,

Re; Mileage. I'm trying to keep the rpm at 2000. Coast to lights, and down hill where possible, and averaging 32.5, that's rural driving, less than 1 stop sign per mile. Wish it were better.
Is anyone familiar with why the new cars don't build up speed while coasting? Why is that?
Thanks,

Old 12-09-2011, 09:11 PM

I had the same question and was considering the practice of putting the tran in neutral. However here's why the car slows down signficsntly while coasting, from what I've read.

When the car is in drive, and you take your foot off the gas, the engine is still 'connected' to the wheels in that the motion of your wheels is keeping the engine runnig without the input of any gas whatsoever. If you were to put the car in neutral, the engine would need added fuel to keep running. Aside from the question of whether or not it is safe or advisable to neutral-coast in the new Accent (which I would love some input on), neutral coasting would only be beneficial for long stretches of uninterrupted coasting. If you're coming up to a stop light it's better to coast with the car in gear. The car slows down quite a bit when coasting in gear because it's downshifting to keep rpms in a proper range (I think).

I know there are some technical terms for the things I've described and I may not have gotten everything correct, so more input would be welcome!

Old 12-09-2011, 11:18 PM

One more thing, I've found that if I can ever find the opportunity to drive at 45mph, my mpg soars. That's the lowest threshold for 6th gear at the lowest rpm, so if u have a choice between driving 40 and 45, go for the latter as long as you won't have to stop too quick. I should mention I drive the automatic, not sure if you're the same

Old 12-10-2011, 03:51 AM

I've mentioned the downshifting and inability to coast earlier in this thread. It really hit home when I got in my full size 4WD truck with snow tires and realised that the truck coasted MUCH better than my new 6-speed hyundai. In fact, This hyundai is the WORST coasting vehicle I have ever seen.
I also wish an engineer would explain this too.
After all, the PRIMARY reason I bought the hyundai is to save money on gas, and I know this "braking" effect we're feeling HAS to be killing the fuel economy.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:48 AM

Bought one 850 miles ago. So far so good. Handles well and a nice ride. As far as mpg's i have not gone on a long enough drive to be able to do the math. The trip computer varies.. At this point it looks like we are getting in the 34mpg range. It is winter in wisconsin, so that certainly plays a part in that equation.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:55 AM

Hi,

My '94 Prizm, with 198,000 was getting 28+ mpg, it coasted great. Somewhere in the Accent manual it says that coasting without power is very dangerous. I'm not sure that's the exact words, or why. I too would like to know more.
I like the car, but when 30/40 is claimed, I expected a lot more. I'm driving in rurual areas. If it were in real city traffic, might I do about 25-26? There's a site called "fuelly", most 2012 Accent owners are averaging about 32. This 30/40 rating is not deserved, in my opinion.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:04 PM

Ironically a few years ago, EPA tightened their qualifications, in other words, the Accent would have scored even higher say.. pre-2008. I'm convinced that if I could cruise (not necessarily cruise control) at 45mph for extended periods is be averaging well over 40mpg. But realistically who can do that?
Fuel efficiency was a determining factor for me as well. I was considering a Honda Fit, but thought the Accent had more to offer plus 3-7mpg higher EPA. Now my buddy tells me he's been averaging 37mpg in his Fit. Granted he has the 2007 (and I believe smaller/lighter model), he does a fair amount of highway, and he's got a manual.
David I'm on Fuelly now thx to your recommendation. Can I assume that your 32.5 is real world, and your computer says something like 34-35.5 mpg?
I suspect a lot of people reporting high efficiency on the Accent are relying on the computer and not miles traveled/gas consumed calculations.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:21 AM

Yeah, me too...
I always got better mpg out of my old economy cars than their EPA rating. And with the new (post 2008) EPA ratings on the 2012 Accent even easier to match, I was expecting to regularly see 40+ mpg figures.
But it isn't happening. And the MPG computer lies. Its a consistant 2 mpg off.

I don't understand it. in the old days My old Hondas would beat the harder to achieve pre 2008 EPA MPG figures easily on high speed interstate trips (75+ mph.) And they had gearing that made their engines buzz in the 3500 rpm range.
Now I've got this 2012 Hyundai with a 6 speed transmission and 2500 rpm higway speeds and at 75+ mph now my MPG plummets below the EPA 40 MPG rating.

And this damn downshifting.

I would say that when I run across some ice this winter and it downshifts, I may well lose control.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by 2012accent
I've mentioned the downshifting and inability to coast earlier in this thread. It really hit home when I got in my full size 4WD truck with snow tires and realised that the truck coasted MUCH better than my new 6-speed hyundai. In fact, This hyundai is the WORST coasting vehicle I have ever seen.
I also wish an engineer would explain this too.
After all, the PRIMARY reason I bought the hyundai is to save money on gas, and I know this "braking" effect we're feeling HAS to be killing the fuel economy.
That 'braking' effect should be the torque converter locking/unlocking. Im not sure what all the issue is with mpg. Im getting great mileage in my Accent; well into the 30's in town and on my morning commute Ive even managed to hit 51mpg and thats with cruise control. On trips, I do just as well. Overall, Im extremely pleased with my purchase.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:07 PM

After burning through about a quarter tank of all LA city driving and averaging 31mpg (computer, so like 29 real-world), I had the opportunity today to take a 42-mile trip, which, being Sunday, was mostly free of the awful traffic with which i normally contend. Half freeway, 1/4 mountain pass, 1/4 "rural" highway. I kept it at about 60mph on the freeway and about 45mph on the rest. My 31mpg tank average went up to 38mpg!
Perhaps I'm being too harsh in my Accent. If I had more normal city driving conditions and could be getting much better mileage.

75mph is 30 mph past the shift point for 6th gear. I believe EPA estimates for highway are based on 55 mph. Try driving right at 65 (or below if you dare)

Quick Reply: 2012 ACCENT Anyone Have ???