Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2012 ACCENT Anyone Have ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:36 PM

I have a theory about the steering, when I noticed it I had my gps on the dash. I wonder if placing the gps there causes interference? I googled and found some issues with cell phones interfering with cars but not gps. Just a theory. Maybe it's just road quality.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kazza2ud
I have a theory about the steering, when I noticed it I had my gps on the dash. I wonder if placing the gps there causes interference?
Causing interference with what? The steering? No. There is no way a GPS (or cell phone) could cause interference with the steering.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Old 06-30-2011, 02:07 PM

Someone here posted a great link to YouTube showing a video about the inner workings of Hyundai's "electric steering."
Take a look at it. It may be possible that it interferes with this complex electronic system. Its not a simple system.
I know the owner's manual says that strong electronic signals can cause the tire pressure monitoring system to malfunction on some Hyundais. Maybe there is a problem with your steering too?
I think I would do some high speed passes over the same section of road with and without the GPS in the car and see.

Maybe you've found something REALLY important. After all it is the STEERING!

Old 06-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

First, those are Toyotas, not Hyundais. Second, the people claiming it's the cell phone are the owners, not the engineers. Third, the electric power steering is an electric pump for the hydraulic fluid instead of a pump driven off the engine. It's not "steering by wire". Cars have used electric pumps for the fuel system for years with no issues.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:46 PM

I just did a quick test... I think it's probably not related to the GPS. I only noticed it on sections of very busy highways with many lanes, and turning off the GPS didn't seem to have an effect. I think what it is is the huge gusts of wind you get from a large highway of 4-5 lanes each direction. With windows down it seems less noticeable, and I can feel the huge gusts from the right, then the left, then the right. The car is probably just a lot lighter than what I've driven in the past, and maybe has less "gust correction" than some other cars. All in all, not so big of a deal, but if other people are not having these issues at all, maybe I should have them take a quick look and make sure everything is ok.

Last edited by kazza2ud; 06-30-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:51 PM

Kind of off topic:

I just discovered the "Power Bass" setting. I had the bass set to +10 before discovering this setting. Anyone know what the difference is? What do you guys use?

And a random discovery of some careless designing. I don't have keyless entry, and when I unlock the doors and get in, as soon as I close the door the interior lights go off. At night it's so dark in there I can barely find the ignition. Why don't the lights stay on for 30 seconds like every other car? Boo

Last edited by kazza2ud; 06-30-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:06 AM

Ive got just under 2000 miles on the car now and have some good and bad points to cover.

1. Steering is good now. I think the ball joints were just stiff from being new.

2. The car's engine is getting a little louder at idle. Changing oil at 3k to see if that helps. I havent had the car over about 4600 rpm yet.

3. The seating position for the driver is very odd. The front of the seat is too high and causes my legs to go numb. This might be a deal breaker for me as I drive over 120 miles a day. I'm 168lbs with an athletic build and the seat is just in the wrong place entirely.

4. The paint is chipping off near the sharp edges of the wheel wells in the front. Looks like they used too much hardener in the paint and made it brittle.

5. A/C will freeze you out.

6. My commute is about 75% city 25% highway. I'm getting an average of 42 mpg.

7. The door locks are retarded. The only lock that controls the others is the drivers side. If you are alone and need so get something out of the passenger seat you have to open the driver door since thats the only door with a key tumbler. Also, if you have that door open already, you cant lock all the doors with the passenger door lock.

8. Dont get scotchguard treatment from the dealer as they'll get it on the plastic and destroy your door card inserts. I just got all new ones for that.

9. Power comes in heavy at about 4500 rpm. Car is basically gutless until that point. I see this to be a product of the variable valve timing as you can feel the shift in valve overlap happen at about 4500 rpm.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:18 AM

Did you get the drivers seat with the adjustable height ratchet on the side of the seat? Its the looooong lever in front of the small seatback lever.

Also, the surge in power you're feeling could be the flap valve opening inside the intake manifold. Its part of the variable length runner system. Its nearly as important for power production as the variable valve timing. Or perhaps you are feeling the variable valve action. I feel the same surges, but they seem to be rather inconsistant. I have felt the same surge anywhere from 4500 to 6000 rpm. Sometimes I dont feel it at all. Dont really know what I'm feeling. Sometimes I say "WOW that was a power shot" and sometimes as it revs out I think "where is that power surge I felt?

I'm gonna take it out and run the hell out of it right now and see what I can find!

Old 07-05-2011, 01:02 PM

Just did a nice 500KM road trip and must say it was an absolute delight! Loving this car more and more everyday. The fact that I still had lots of gas in the tank after was also awesome and then after only needing to spend $40ish buck to fill the tank up is a good bonus
Steering is great, the 138HP is also very welcomed and noticeable in such a small and light car. The car seats for me are perfectly fine....no issues with them not being comfortable.

Quick Reply: 2012 ACCENT Anyone Have ???