Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

crank but not start

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Default crank but not start

i picked up a 2000 accent from a friend of mine, she parked it about a year and a half ago because the trans let go in it. i plan on replacing that and giving the car to my mom. however, i am having some issues getting it running. it has a new battery in it and ive gone through every fuse to check for power at each and that each fuse was good. i am not getting spark, no fuel pump, and no injectors. i ran a hot source and ground the the fuel pump and that flows well and squirts fuel about 5 feet from the engine bay. my dad was lead to believe it was the cam sensor, i replaced it and still no luck. im wondering if it is possible my ecm could be fried or if anyone has had a similar issue with a different fix. also, how would i go about testing the ecm? i dont know what wires do what on the harness so i didnt verify power at the ecm and didnt have my dmm with me (left it at work). also, while i was replacing the cam sensor, i looked at the cam and didnt see any sort of ring or tooth marks like an abs sensor exciter ring would have. now im also not that familiar with the car, but i did go to a tech school for 2 years and have been working on large trucks for another 2.

any help is greatly appreciated, im giving this car to my mom to pay off my school debts

Old 06-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Banned

Cam sensor controls fuel injectors. Crank sensor controls spark.

Did you try to pull the codes, worth a shot...

Assume ECM is good.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:34 PM

i havent attempted to pull any codes, im going to see if i can borrow a sna tool from a co worker to try that.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:11 PM

also, the check engine light doesnt turn on when i turn the key on. im not sure if its burned out as i just bought the car. there is a tsb for intermittent no start with the ecm requiring replacement

Old 06-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Banned

So the trans is shot, it sat for 1 1/2 years, and now there's no spark, no fuel pump, and no power to the injectors. The cel is burnt out, but you didn't try to pull codes. Somebody told you to replace the cam sensor, but that wasn't it. Now you think the ecm is the problem because there's a TSB that talks about intermittent starting problems....

Ok, well good luck with that. Let us know how you make out.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:05 PM

i tried today to connect with a universal code reader and it won't connect with the ecm, so im going to assume there is either no power/ground to the ecm, or the ecm went bad.