Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Giving up on my accent

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Default Giving up on my accent

Hello everyone,
New today to the forum, i've read many posts with similar problems to my 3dr Accent (1999) petrol, 31k.
Have had this car for 3 years only had 23k when I bought it. From the first winter of owning this car it began its problematic starting fault. It will run the whole summer without any prob, as soon as the cold weather begins, like now, its a gamble as to if it will start or not.
The engine will turn but will not fire, on occasion it will fire for about 2 seconds and then "die" each time I turn the key there seems to be no "catch" to fire. It's not flooding, there is absoloutely no smell of petrol. Hyundai have had the car many times and cannot pinpoint a cause. The crankshaft sensor has been replaced along with spark plugs and leads, all making no difference to the problem. I started using a product to repel the water/damp, thinking that something may be getting wet, this has not solved the problem. It's very unpredictable as to what times of the day it will play up, some days it will be perfectly ok and have no problems, this morning I was stuck in the car park for over an hour trying to start it. It's a very basic model, no power steering, no central locking. If anyone has solved a similar problem to mine please post, I'm really giving up on this car.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Default RE: Giving up on my accent

I had a 2002 with same problem as well as the previous owener of the car.
Previous owner had no luck with gas additives,
I replaced the battery,Alternator(was starting to freeze up and thought the extra drag was effecting cold starts) replaced plugs too but it never helped, Car would not start once overnight temps went into the teens.

My next point of attack was to replace the starter as I figured it to was dragging in the cold.
Good luck.