Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Low RPM and Stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Angry Low RPM and Stalling problem

I've got an annoying problem with my accent. When I start it up, every once in a while the RPMs will dip down and then the engine will catch itself. Then when I start driving, no matter what speed I'm at, the engine will become jerkey, like something slips or quits for a half second and goes back to being normal and the check engine light comes on for about 2 or 3 seconds and goes away. Just the other day, I was driving and the engine quit completely. I'm sure it didn't stall right away because no lights came on on the instrument cluster. My first thought was the fuel injector. So I threw in some good injector cleaner, but the problem persisted. My next thought was the spark plugs. Changed those, problem persisted. Next thought was fuel filter, changed that, problem persisted. Next thought was fuel pump. Changed that, problem persisted. Any ideas??? It's really FRUSTRATING......

Old 06-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Default What was your stalling fix

What was the fix?????

I just bought a 2002 Santa Fee 2.7, and just started stalling at traffic lights particuliar when the car is warmed up..its a mess and want to sell it.....it also intermittantly stalls in park -typically it has a great tight idle and suddenly looses rpms to 0, surges back to normal and eventually dies.... how did you fix it....

Old 06-29-2010, 01:39 PM

it is most likely your alternator, we had a similar problem with our Ford Windstar, it wouldn't pull and jerk a lot when it was moving and the idling patter would be completely off.
Get it check before you get it replaced

Old 06-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Banned

sounds more like the infamous accent misfire to me. having intermittent misfires is quite common with these cars, there's a few causes to check out. blindly replacing stuff and throwing injector cleaner at it won't fix it. this comes from my experience with the 1.6L accent engine:

- first get a code reader to verify the misfire. even if the engine light goes off, the ECU will still have stored the error code. if there is a misfire carry on.

- your replaced plugs - be sure you have the correct plugs. use either copper or iridium, platinums will offer no benifit for this issue. NGK are usually best for asian motors. the hyundai plug gap spec is 0.045" for the 1.6L, i have found that using 0.035" helps allieveiate this problem or even eliminate it.

- inspect your plug wires and coil packs with a multimeter to ensure they still meet specs. replace if not. specs are found for free on www.hmaservice.com. go to the TSB section and look up that error code you got earlier. you will find inspection/repair procedures there.

- check all connections and grounds for corrosion. clean as necessary.

-still not working? now we check the fuel system. filter is already replaced, but injector cleaner is next to useless. modern fuel already contains a large amount of detergents to clean your injectors. if one is clogged it must be removed and backflow cleaned or ultrasonic cleaned.

-check your fuel pressure by attaching the appropriate test gauge.

-check the fuel pressure regulator

-finally, i have heard that there may be a problem somewhere with the fuel pump wiring. aparently a ground wire can commonly come loose. however i have not yet verified this and i cannot provide an exact location. i will be checking for this within a week or two hopefully.