Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Oil Q!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Default Oil Q!

The recommended oil for my '08 Accent, according to the manual, is 5-20, 5-30, or 10-30 if temps are not too cold, which they dont get here in Vegas. The oil filler cap says 5-20 weight on it. I used 10-30 & I can swear my car feels less peppy since I did my oil change. I am thinking the factory fill was 20 weight.What you guys runnin that change the oil yourselves?

Grazie!

Rob

Old 11-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Default RE: Oil Q!

you should always put in what is recommended for the car, esspecially if its a new car. Once the car starts getting older you car start using a heavier wieght oil. But always use what is recommended.
And always run the engine after an oil change and check the dip stick. I doubt the oil you put in your car will cause any damage, but if you're worried, change itto 5-20, and since its new, using a synthetic oil wouldn't hurt, but convensional will work just fine.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Rdturbulence

you should always put in what is recommended for the car, esspecially if its a new car. Once the car starts getting older you car start using a heavier wieght oil. But always use what is recommended.
And always run the engine after an oil change and check the dip stick. I doubt the oil you put in your car will cause any damage, but if you're worried, change itto 5-20, and since its new, using a synthetic oil wouldn't hurt, but convensional will work just fine.
Maybe I did'nt explain this right, BOTH 20 & 30 weight are recommended per the owners man! I did use M1 syn. I am surprised the manual would say both weights are OK. I will probably switch to the 20 weight. I will feel a little more comfortable.

Just got the 5-20 in & back to normal!

Old 11-23-2008, 01:14 PM

I live in Illinois and change the oil for the first time using 5w20 Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil. At 3k miles the car developed quite a tic at first start up and temps below 25F. I took it to the dealer for their free oil change and they used Pennzoil dino 5w20 and the tick is gone. Will it return at 3k I don't know?

If it does then I will be going to a 5w30 oil.

There really is no bad thing about a 5w oil as this is the oils rating at 0F.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:52 PM

i did the same thing to my 02 accent... the motor calls for 5W-30, i ran 10W-30 through the motor thinking it would help keep the motor cool because of the heat here in south Texas. call me crazy... but i also noticed a slight lag in power after using the heavier oil. 5W-30 from now on for me.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:40 AM

ORIGINAL: ZACH02

i did the same thing to my 02 accent... the motor calls for 5W-30, i ran 10W-30 through the motor thinking it would help keep the motor cool because of the heat here in south Texas. call me crazy... but i also noticed a slight lag in power after using the heavier oil. 5W-30 from now on for me.
Theres basicly no difference between 5-30 & 10-30! The first number,the 5 &10, is only the thickness or vicosity at startup! They are both 30 weight oil at operating temps!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: SHOZ

I live in Illinois and change the oil for the first time using 5w20 Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil. At 3k miles the car developed quite a tic at first start up and temps below 25F. I took it to the dealer for their free oil change and they used Pennzoil dino 5w20 and the tick is gone. Will it return at 3k I don't know?

If it does then I will be going to a 5w30 oil.

There really is no bad thing about a 5w oil as this is the oils rating at 0F.
The reason you were getting a tick, & I am assuming it was only temporary, is in the colder temps, the oil is thicker and takes longer to get to all the moving parts of the upper engine, mainly the heads, valves, rockers and such. The 2 oils u mention are the same weight, surprised you would see much diff! I wonder if your oil may have gotten a little low by 3000 miles?

Old 11-27-2008, 12:10 AM

Engines need oil that is thin enough for cold starts, and thick enough when the engine is hot. Since oil gets thinner when heated, and thicker when cooled, most of us use what are called multi-grade, or multi-viscosity oils. These oils meet SAE specifications for the low temperature requirements of a light oil and the high temperature requirements of a heavy oil. You will hear them referred to as multi-viscosity, all-season and all-weather oils. An example is a 10W-30 which is commonly found in stores. When choosing oil, always follow the manufacturer's recommendation! 10w-30 is heavier than 5w-30!

Old 11-27-2008, 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: ZACH02

Engines need oil that is thin enough for cold starts, and thick enough when the engine is hot. Since oil gets thinner when heated, and thicker when cooled, most of us use what are called multi-grade, or multi-viscosity oils. These oils meet SAE specifications for the low temperature requirements of a light oil and the high temperature requirements of a heavy oil. You will hear them referred to as multi-viscosity, all-season and all-weather oils. An example is a 10W-30 which is commonly found in stores. When choosing oil, always follow the manufacturer's recommendation! 10w-30 is heavier than 5w-30!
The W in the designation stands for "Winter".

Old 11-28-2008, 08:49 PM

i have been reading on the oil types... from what i have gathered, it is better to run the recommended oil in your car. if your car says 5-20 or 5-30, that might mean 5-20 when its colder and 5-30 when its hotter. but, i talked to a friend of mine who is a mechanic, he says to thick of an oil can shorten the life of your oil pump because the pump is designed to run on the rec. oils only... i think thats why you noticed the power lag in your car as i did mine... I think 10-30 is just too thick for these engines.

Quick Reply: Oil Q!