Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Weird Problem with fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Default Weird Problem with fuel

I drove in some negative degree weather after hitting a curb with some ice on the road. After the next day my Hyundai Accent car wouldn't start. I sprayed Ether in it to see if it was the engine, but it would tunr over and act like it would start if there was a continuous fuel source. I replaced the Fuel pump, but not the filter yet. I still doesn't start. Is there an automatic fuel line shut off that happened after I hit that curb? The check engine light went on after that and stayed on. I got one of those car scanner andit shows that nothing is wrong. I also bought a new relay for the fuel pump, but it also did nothing.... any recommendations... Thanks

Old 05-27-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by soliosis
Is there an automatic fuel line shut off that happened after I hit that curb?
Yes, there is and the emergency fuel shutoff is discussed in the owner's manual to the car. Did the car run for any length of time after hitting the curb?

Old 05-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Default Yeah

The car ran great... with no problems at all for a whole next day (60 miles). Where exactly is that part located? Or do you think it may be something else.

I am going to buy the repair manual on CD since it didn't come with an owners manual with the car.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Default another perspective

He had something similar but not sure because OBDII codes not mentioned... a possibility

https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=3943

Old 05-27-2009, 10:30 PM

The car ran great... with no problems at all for a whole next day (60 miles). Where exactly is that part located? Or do you think it may be something else.

I am going to buy the repair manual on CD since it didn't come with an owners manual with the car.
If the emergency fuel cutoff switch had been triggered, the car would not run at all, much less 60 more miles. It appears you have confirmed the engine is not getting fuel, but have you checked for spark. No fuel and no spark is a sign that either the crankshaft rotation sensor or camshaft rotation sensor has failed, the crankshaft sensor being the more common problem. Also, what year Accent do you have? I can find you a link to the owner's manual on the HMA service site. Actually, the HMA service site (http://www.hamservice.com/) has pretty much the whole service manual online if you are interested.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Default spark

I know it has spark, because I sprayed ether (starting fluid) in it and it would run until the small amount of ether ran out that I sprayed.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Default that link

That link went to a Japanese/Chinese website that I couldn't decipher... made me laugh a little.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:14 AM

That link went to a Japanese/Chinese website that I couldn't decipher... made me laugh a little.
I have never said I could type worth squat. Try http://www.hmaservice.com/. The site is designed to work with IE. I would start checking fuses in both boxes. Could be the fuse providing power to the pump has blown.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:38 AM

Yeah all my relays and fuses looked good - I actually bought a new relay for the fuel pump and installed it. But is there a fuse beyond the relay for the fuel pump - somewhere past the fuse box in the engine, possibly? Just want to make sure I am not missing anything or not seeing something. I know some cars can have weird setups.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Default The Crankshaft sensor

I just want to thank you for your advice! The crankshaft sensor is the culprit.... I will now get my timing belt changed because I am almost at 60,000 miles.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Weird Problem with fuel