Hyundai Azera A Hyundai like you've never seen before.

grinding noise when RPMs are coming down after the start

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:10 AM
Default grinding noise when RPMs are coming down after the start

I have a 2006 Azera. I think the started is not disengaging. I have a grinding sound after I start the car when the RPM’s are coming down. This does not happen all the time. It does not matter if the car is warm,cold or what the weather is like out side. I have had the car into hyundia but, since the sounds does not happen every time they say they can’t help me. the car has 20k. and they wont help any thoghts.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Default RE: grinding noise when RPMs are coming down after the start

You need a new Bendix drive on the starter.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:18 AM

will hyundia put a new Bendix drive on without hearing the noise or they will only fix it when they hard the noise.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:34 PM

will hyundia put a new Bendix drive on without hearing the noise or they will only fix it when they hard the noise.
Hard to say. If you read various threads on this forum, you'll find some folks have Hyundai dealers they love and others that say their dealer couldn't be bothered with warrenty repair. A bendix certainly isn't a standard "wear item" that would be disregarded by the 60K B2B warrenty. The advice is always the same from the veteran forum members...take your car to another Hyundai dealer if you feel the one you're dealing isn't treating you fairly. Warrenty service is honored by all dealerships, not just the one you bought the car from.

If it is the bendix going bad at 20K, fear not. It's only going to get worse and eventually will stop working correctly. I predict it will start grinding on every start soon enough. Don't let this go on to long though. As the teeth on the drive gear get worn, they will no longer mesh well with the ring gear on the flywheel. This can lead to broken teeth on the ring gear that will result in "dead spots" when you try to start the car. Replacing a worn ring gear is major surgery and quite costly compared to replacing the bendix on the starter.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:54 PM

it sounds like the timing chain tensioner is making noise. what you have to do is let the car sit overnight then start up, then listen for the noise, the noise will last for a few seconds. if that's the case you leave the vehicle with the dealer and have them check it out.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:36 PM

Yes, bad tensioners are likely. A friend with an 07 Sonata 3.3 V6 experinced that problem, but the sound was more like a clinking rather than a grinding. But all sounds are relative to the user. Either way, the warrenty should cover the repair.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:14 PM

My tensioner was replaced on my 2006 Azera last year, but the noise is still there on startup. I love this car, but the engine is always making strange clicks and clunks.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:44 PM

If millersmm76 and wsteinhauer wish to diagnose their problems further, there is an old mechanics trick they can employ that doesn't require hardly any skill. Find a piece of old heater hose or garden hose, 3 or so feet long. Make sure the hose is clear of obstructions inside. Hold one end of the hose close to an ear. Place the other end of the hose near the timing cover on the pulley end of the engine (to your left as you face the engine bay with the hood open). Have someone start the car when it's cold and listen for the sound. Shut off the engine and repeat with the free end of the hose held close to the bell housing (the opposite end of the engine next to the transaxle) or preferably the starter (the electric motor that jutes out of the bell housing next to the engine). It will be most obvious which location is associated with the grinding sound. Take this information to a dealer.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:35 AM

FYI - Go to the Hyundai service web site at:

http://www.hmaservice.com/

and download technical service bulletin 08-EM-001-1 titled

[blockquote]quote:

3.3L & 3.8L TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER -REVISED SERVICE PROCEDURE AND UPDATED WARRANTY INFORMATION[/blockquote]

This is an updated version of a TSB issued on this topic earlier this year. The update is very comprehensive in explaining the problem, the solution and updated warranty information affecting owners of 2006 and newer Sonatas and Azeras plus some other models (basically most post-2006 or 2007 models with the 3.3/3.8 Lambda engine installed). The old service procedure required removal of the engine from the car, likely why some dealers were reluctant to acknowledge the problem. New procedure is still quite involved but doesn't require engine removal.

There's an alternative site for the full TSb at:

http://jerrystout.us/sonata/tsb.htm

that doesn't require a userid or password to access the file. If your noise problems are the timing chain tensioners, this knowledge should help you get the problem resolved (hopefully under warranty) with your dealership's service manager.

Good luck