Hyundai Azera A Hyundai like you've never seen before.

Upgrading The Headlights & Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Default Upgrading The Headlights & Bulbs

I want to change the low beam headlights to the "brighter" white/blue Xenon look. I know it's an H7 bulb.

Has anyone changed these out yet? Is it difficult to do? Suggestion on where to buy?

I also want to change some of the bulbs in the car that are too dim. For example, the trunk bulb is almost non-existent and the front map light color is too yellow. Any suggestion on where to find the bright white version?

Thanks

Old 12-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Default RE: Upgrading The Headlights & Bulbs

Nykerk,

The factory stockOsram 64210L lamps (bulbs) provide 1,350 lumens The 2007 Azera uses the same H7 lamps in both the low and high beams.

The Osram (not Sylvania) H7 Silver Stars provide 1,600+ lumens. Note that although Osram and Sylvania are sister companies and may use the same trade name for products they are different. The Osram Silver Star does not have the light robbing blue coating (cool look?) of the Sylvania Silver Stars.

The best lamp I found is the Osram H7 64217 which provides 2,100 lumens. This lamp will make a huge difference in your night time illumination! It is not DOT marked, but those of us using it have had no problems (a typical HID lamp provides 2,800 to 3,200 lumens.) This 65w lamp works very well in the Azeras headlight modules. This lamp is available from DanielSternLighting.com or RallyLights.com, for the high $20's. While the HID lamps provide more lumens the majority of HID lamps have their arcs (small place where light is produced)in much different locations within the lamps than do incandescent lamp filaments (where their light is produced). As Stern points out the cars optics (reflectors and lenses) must be designed specifically for the type of lamp and arc/filament location to provide optimum illumination in front of the vehicle. Using a HID lamp with its light arc in a different location from an incandescent lamps filament may not provide any more light than a good incandescent. The HID system is also more expensive.

Also, don't forget to check the upper level cut-off adjustment in your Azera. Many came with this cut-off set too low, which can cause over driving your lights (dangerous). The adjustment is made with a small Phillips screwdriver, and the location of this screw is just behind the headlight modules. You will see a small funnel like device which the Phillips will protrude through downto the screw adjustment. Good luck with your changes.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:04 AM

"Also, don't forget to check the upper level cut-off adjustment in your Azera. Many came with this cut-off set too low, which can cause over driving your lights (dangerous). The adjustment is made with a small Phillips screwdriver, and the location of this screw is just behind the headlight modules. You will see a small funnel like device which the Phillips will protrude through downto the screw adjustment. Good luck with your changes."

I have noticed that the top protion of the light beam is set low to the ground as I drive at night. Is this what you are referring to?

Thanks,

Old 12-22-2006, 10:48 AM

Yes, this is what is referred to as a cut-off. On the Azera low beams it is the so called 'black bar' on top of your low beam emission. It can be adjusted up by using the screwdriver adjustment mentioned earlier. Different types of cut-offs are used to limit light spread where needed. You can see them on street illumination lights, off site lighting near airports, or even on some street traffic control lights.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:56 PM
ktd
Default Question about Osram H7 65W

Did you ever install these bulbs? Any issues with wiring?