Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

09 Elantra P0011

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 08:47 AM
RJE
Default 09 Elantra P0011

I have a 2009 Elantra with a 2.0L and approximately 150,000 miles. I have a reoccurring P0011 code and quite a bit of work has been done in an attempt to solve this by several different people. The oil control valve has been replaced as well as the cam sensor and VVT sprocket and actuator with the secondary timing chain and tensioner. I have changed the oil and filter and inspected the oil control passage and the filter screen as well. I have verified the timing belt is installed properly and the timing marks are aligned properly. The passages and filter screen are very clean and it appears that the engine has been well maintained. Originally, this code would set almost immediately when driving, after all this work, its takes around 10 to 20 miles of driving to set the code, sometimes more. So, it appears something has changed but the code does eventually return. The oil control valve is new but it is an aftermarket (Napa brand) and I wonder if anyone has had issues with non Hyundai oil control valves as I have seen that on other brands. I have also considered that this could be an oil pressure issue but there are no noises coming from the engine and it appears to have good pressure but I need to get the correct socket to remove the oil pressure switch and put a gauge on, this may be my next step.
I know this was a bit long winded and I appreciate any help or ideas you guys have...thanks so much

Old 04-26-2022, 04:59 PM

From the code, I believe there is a problem with a phaser staying advanced and not returning to normal position.

Suspect the oil control solenoid may be sticking and not allowing the phaser to return to normal.

Depending on who did the work, if someone other than yourself, I would take it back and have it thoroughly checked out and corrected.

Unfortunately, if you did the work, get another opinion before doing anything else.