Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

1998 Elantra

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Default 1998 Elantra

After having to get jump started (due to weather) my check engine light came on. I took it to Auto Zone and they came back with 3 error codes. P1613, P1128, and P1124. Does anyone know what is going on? I'm clueless and broke!! Now also, when I do get it started, there is some smoke coming out from under the hood (this only lasts a couple minutes). I've been told that it is due to the weather, but now I'm really wondering. BTW. It has been -30+ windchill here.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Banned
Default RE: 1998 Elantra

Some quick info I found on the net, don't know how good it is. If it's true, it likely means a problem with the MAF sensor. There was a TSB campaign to replace the wiring harness to the MAF, but is was for cars 1999 and 2000.

"P1128 in Hyundai refers to the Mass Airflow Sensor or MAF being defective."

"P1124 refers to a lean condition at idle. Since you repaired your intake
leak with some rtv without removing the intake manifold that was my
impression upon reviewing the P0303 thread you probably still have a
small leak there that's not enough to generate a misfire."

"P1613 simply indicates that the TCM requested the engine control module (ECM) to turn on the check engine lamp. "

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:34 PM

I haven't repaired anything. I'm not sure what you are talking about...

Old 01-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

P1124 = Fuel System Lean at idle
P1128 = Fuel System Lean at light load
P1613 = ECM Malfunction/Failure

Old 01-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Banned

[align=left]It could be as simple as having a small leak around the intake, or perhaps some cracked rubber. Like you say, it's cold. It might even be just because it's so cold the intake is leaky someplace. Is it having a problem running?

How many miles?
Did you do any maintainence? What? When?

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:57 PM

After about 15min of trying to jump start it each time I've had to start it the last two days (it's been cold that long), it seems to run okay (doesn't sputter, etc). If I try to start the car up within 15 min of letting it run for atleast 1/2hr after the jump, it will start back up. If I wait any more than a few hrs, it will not. I just got a new battery (less than 2 weeks ago)so this is why I'm thinking all of that has to do with the cold. It has quite a few miles (not sure off the top of my head and I am not going back out there right now, I"m froze! . Keep in mind it is a 1998. Previous to this last month I was rear ended really bad (they had to replace my entire back bumper and part of my trunk). When the ladies insurance company got the estimate they ordered an inspection on the car to see if the estimate was worth fixing or just junking the car. I guess I'm not sure really what they looked at during the inspection and they never notified meof any major problems.Up until now, I have had no problems with the car. I guess my main concern is now with the light on and these codes, I'm unsure if I should be driving it to get my daughter to and from school (or can depend on it). Thank you jsintonfor trying to give me a hand with this!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Banned

Well, I don't know, sounds like you need a good charge on that battery. Where did you buy it?

At far as getting rear ended... Call the the ladies insurance co. for an update.

In the meantime, are you feeling any neck pain? If even the slightest, then you need to see a doctor because it could get a lot worse, and it's worth a lot in pain and suffering. I'm serious...

Old 01-16-2009, 06:34 PM

As embarrassing as this is...the battery was purchased at Walmart. Embarrassing because my father had to buy it (I was stranded and had no money on me only credit cards) so I really couldn't complain although I was hoping for a higher quality (I'm always nervous of becoming stranded with my daughter in the car). I do know it was one of the more expensive ones. The battery has worked fine since it was purchased (until it got really cold recently, which a lot of people are having problems with getting them started now). I have let it run each timeafter getting a jump start for more than 40 min each time (woah, on the gas!). The insurance deal is completed and as far as the collision center is concerned they have fixed everything (except for my stereo that got trashed which was not covered. I have a CD that suddenly became stuck right immediately when this happened. I'm so sick of hearing it. lol. ). I did get checked out medically because I slammed my head reallyhard on my head rest. In the end, I checked out okay. This problem with the errors did not occur when they were checking the car out. Now I realize there are a lot of people who are attached to Hyundai's but I have to say that it has been non-stop issues since I got this car 2 years ago and I have never had a car with so many problems (I realize it is an older car and I keep that in mind, but geeze! As soon as one thing is fixed it's immediately another). Now I'm wondering if it's even going to last me until I can get another car (about 2 years from now). Sorry about my rambling, I'm frustrated after dealing so much with this car. I called a couple different car places and they are all telling me each code is more important to deal with opposed to another (and each "most urgent" code is always different from each of these calls.) URGH!!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Banned

Actually, Walmart batteries are rated a "Best Buy" by Consumers Reports. It's the only kind I buy.

Hang in there, I think there's a good chance it's just too damn cold right now.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:59 PM

Awesome, I keep being told otherwise by my "know it all" roommate that really knows squat about much of anything. I agree about the cold and the car not starting. I'm more concerned with the error codes and the fact that when I finally do get it jumped there is smoke (once again, know it all roommate says, "its probably from frost"). I'm thinking if one of those codes means a possible leak and if the fluid gets on something hot....causes smoke, right? I just need to get this damn car fixed and move somewhere where the min temp is 10!