Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2005 5 speed standard - having shift/slipping problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Smile 2005 5 speed standard - having shift/slipping problems

I'm having problems with my 2005 5-speed standard Elantra - it starts up fine, and I can put it into gear ok, but the first three gears there's no get up and go -- I have to really give it lots of gas to get the gear to engage, and it seems like its slipping out of gear when I drive it.. once I'm into fourth or fifth gear, everything is going fine, no loss of power..

Just wondering what this might be -- could it be I need a new clutch? Others who've driven it say the clutch is funky, but I'm used to it -- its just low. Do the gears in the standard transmission wear out? I've driven 5-speeds for over 20 yrs, but never had a problem with a car that's just a little over 3 yrs old, so I'm wondering if Hyundai has had problems w/these cars -- its a sporty hatchback, which is no longer sold by them.

Being a woman, I'm afraid to go to the dealer and get some song and dance that there's big trouble here.. but i need to get this fixed. It has about 42k mileage, and have only had routine maintenance - oil/fluids, new brakes, new tires, etc..

any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Terry

Old 04-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Banned

No, it's not the transmission. Either the trans goes into gear or it doesn't, there's no in between with manual trans.

From you description, it sounds like the clutch is slipping, and your driving it exactly wrong and burning up the clutch FUBAR.

It cost a lot of money to replace a clutch. Expect to pay from $800 on up depending on who does it and what parts they replace.

You need to drive it slow and easy, and not let the clutch slip.

A lot of times it goes bad because the clutch fluid gets some dirt in it and the clutch never quite engages because the slave cylinder never quite comes all the way back when you let off the pedal. You might get lucky and be able to bleed the system and it will clean out and work ok. But from your description, it sounds like it's probably really burnt now. Still, it's worth a shot to bleed the system, as it takes about 10 minutes and cost very little.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:12 AM

ok thank you.. I will get it checked out (and fixed) this week!