Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2020 "new" IVT transmission.. any issues??

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2019 | 08:27 PM
|
Default 2020 "new" IVT transmission.. any issues??

So my daughter is looking at getting a 2020 elantra with the new IVT, like a CVT but with a metal chain vs metal belt, car as her 1st new car.. I have always been a fan of NOT getting the first through the 3rd year of a new component especially transmissions..

has anyone have a good reason to be a guinea pig for this new thing..

Several years ago when in hawaii a rental car we had a nissan versa which had the new CVT type transmission.. It was great, smooth shifting, great gas mileage etc.. looked like a winner.. So back home in NC I was at the repair shop getting an oil change and chatting with the transmission guy and mentioned the car we had rented and he was like that is a CRAP transmission.. they had been out for a while in jugars and they were expensive to repair and the belt when it breaks you have to treat the transmission OUT to replace the belt..

SO what the thoughts on this deal,, go with the proven 2019 6 speed deals or take the plunge ?? any inside info on how much testing was done on the transmission as well..

Old 01-10-2021 | 11:34 PM
Default Unfortunately

Not that I am even close to knowing anything about cars nor have I actually noticed any issues with the IVT in my 2020 Elantra, but unfortunately, there is an active safety recall/service campaign on some of the 2020 models (including my own). Hyundai has to preform an ECU/TCU update and possibly replace the IVT. I don’t know if this is coming too late and I’m not sure if this helps but alas, perhaps the “new” transmission is not quite ready yet.

Last edited by Mpleary; 01-10-2021 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-12-2021 | 10:03 AM

I think the 2020 Kia Forte has the same trans.. My wife's had a software update a few months ago.. My 2020 Elantra has not had one yet.. Last I checked the dealer said there was none for my car.

Old 06-01-2021 | 08:23 AM

Here's a fun one for ya. Was driving a couple weeks ago, and at about 38k miles on 2020 Accent with IVT, transmission failed entirely.

Limped to a remote dealership, where they informed me after being stuck in a hotel for two days that they'd need my car for a week and a half, maybe two weeks because they have to replace the entire transmission on my brand new 2020 Accent. I drove the 400 miles home in the loaner car they gave me.

I received a call several days later that the IVT Transmission issue is so widespread that I am going to be waiting 2 MONTHS for them to replace the transmission. WOW