Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

98 elantra shuts off when warm

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Default 98 elantra shuts off when warm

So my elantra has a strange issue of shutting down when it's warmed up. It has to sit for a few minutes ( cooling off) then it will start again and run fine. But everytime it's all the way warm it just shuts itself off. New battery, clean terminals and a new camshaft sensor. Where else should I check? I have a feeling this is a fairly common problem for these cars. I've heard possible idle speed control valve or rpm sensor. Anyone have any experience with this problem? What did you do to fix it?
It's an auto with 160K it that makes a difference.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Have you ever had the computer checked for fault codes?

Old 08-24-2010, 06:26 PM

It hasn't set a CEL on the dash. Can it set a code without triggering a CEL?

Old 08-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Sometimes there could be. Go to an auto plarts store that will read codes for free and check. It couldn't hurt.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:57 PM

Okay here's the update. It's an automatic. Took it for a drive and after it warmed up for 10 minutes it felt like it went into neutral and the engine was freewheeling (revving) then when I slowed to almost a stop it felt like it went back to drive. It would do it sporatically and not all the time. Then after driving for a little while it did it again, then the motor promptly turned off. Triggered the CEL and would crank but not kick over. With starter fluid it would kick over like it wanted to run but just wouldn't quite start. Let it sit for 15 min, turned on felt gutless and went 400ft and died again. Let it sit for another 15 min and it ran enough to get home, but the trans felt like it was in neutral again when I pulled into the driveway. Shifting into 2nd and 1st didn't make any difference. The non running issue definately feels like a fuel issue. When it stopped running battery voltage was at 12.38V.
So, the is the neutral issue an slipping tranny ( needing replacing?) or can a shift solenoid fix that? Or something else? Is the shutting off ( like it's starved for fuel) another issue or are they related?
I will have to buy a OBD scanner b/c I don't think the car will make it to the auto parts store (it's a ways away).

Old 08-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Get the computer read. Without checking the codes it's a guess at best.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:26 PM

Stop in at your local AutoZone store and they will read it for you and tell you what's wrong with it...

Old 08-31-2010, 07:51 PM

Only one code po335. I think the people that I bought it from said they replaced the CPS when trying to figure out what's wrong with it.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:54 PM

Only one code po335. I think the people that I bought it from said they replaced the CPS when trying to figure out what's wrong with it. Is there both a camshaft posistion sensor and a crankshaft posistion sensor on the car? I get the feeling that the slipping tranny is unrelated to the error code po335...

Last edited by velorossa; 08-31-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:05 AM

If the previous owners replaced the part, try resetting the PCM.

You can do this by disconnecting the battery from both terminals and either waiting for about 20 minutes for the capacitors to discharge, or try pressing the brake pedal while the battery is disconnected to speed them along.

Are you positive they replaced the faulty part (previous owners)? The issue I had with my '98 Elantra was something similar to yours, erratic revs and wanting to shutoff at a light. I replaced the Throttle Position Sensor, $50 at AutoZone, and all is well.

Quick Reply: 98 elantra shuts off when warm