Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Battery test fine last week. Now it is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2023 | 04:40 PM
|
Default Battery test fine last week. Now it is bad?

My 2020 Elantra for the first time has issues.. Last week after my oil change and replacing filters, I went and tested my battery. The results showed about 70 percent good.. Today it started no problem in the morning before work. But when going to lunch it would not start. It took 6 tires then she fired up.. When I came home I tested the battery 2 ways. First with a battery tester, and it tested bad at only 10.53 volts.. Next I used a multimeter, and it showed the same.. I also tested the alternator with the same multimeter, and it showed above 13v right around 13.5 to 13.8 Under load it did not not drop much or below 13v. So I figured the battery is most likely bad after 3.5 yrs and 48k miles.. Your thoughts.

Old 07-17-2023 | 05:11 PM

Batteries usually last longer than 3 yrs. Are you sure there isn't a problem causing the battery to go down?

It does sound like the battery is tired, but replacing a battery in newer vehicles requires the vehicle computer be informed the battery has been replaced.
Things aren't as simple as they used to be.

If the battery was down, how did you get 6 tries out of it?

Old 07-17-2023 | 05:16 PM
|

I not sure if there is someihing draing it.. I do have my lights on auto all the time, but everything else is turned off radio, ac, mirrors in nutural. Any kia/hyundia battery I have since new, only lasted no more than 3yrs.. I'm not in the position to have it at the shop now as I need the car to get to and from work.. I did call the dealer, they told my I will have to pay a diag fee if they can not find a issues. But when I purchased the exttra warranty i'm not suppose to pay diag, parts, labor or deductable.. I tried to call the warranty holder, but they are closed for the day.. I can still replace and have it checked. But the dealer told me I would have to wait 7-10 days to get it in.. So I have to get one no matter what.

Old 07-17-2023 | 08:42 PM
|

New battery in. Everything is working just fine.. Now I can bring it to the dealer to verify, something is or isn't draining the battery.. If I waited I would have to jump the car every time I want to use it.. Dealer wait is 7-10 days.

Old 12-21-2023 | 10:47 PM

Hey doubledragon, curious if you figured out if there was/wasnt something draining your battery? I ask because I have a 2020 GT base model with the only upgrade being the GPS navigation and infotainment screen was added. I have about 41K miles on it and I am having the same issue with not starting for about 2 weeks now, I even been putting it on my battery maintainer sometimes and will fire right up next morning when i do so. some nights i wont, and next morning sometimes it starts or if I am out and about & need to get a jump, it fires right up.
I feel like its not getting enough cranking amps to get it "over the hump" so to speak and start the car and wonder if the nav or something is draining battery.
I am going to go get a new battery but I wonder if I should the 750 CCA battery or just go with the 680 CCA that is in it already. Autozone lists 4-6 different battery options that all say "Guaranteed OEM FIT" for my ride. And batteries cost $210-260 and that hurts the credit card. Any insight from your dealings with this issue would be greatly appreciated.
THanks
JJ

Old 12-22-2023 | 09:42 AM

Something I would suggest you consider,
Not knowing the conditions of the battery cables and their connections, I would start there.
You have a choice of either testing them doing voltage drop tests or replacing them , hoping that was the problem, but that can not only get a little expensive , but also is a lot of work.
What we try to do is test don't guess.
If you don't have the tools and knowledge to perform the tests, best to have a shop that can do that..

Old 12-27-2023 | 06:40 PM
|

Originally Posted by jjustice111
Hey doubledragon, curious if you figured out if there was/wasnt something draining your battery? I ask because I have a 2020 GT base model with the only upgrade being the GPS navigation and infotainment screen was added. I have about 41K miles on it and I am having the same issue with not starting for about 2 weeks now, I even been putting it on my battery maintainer sometimes and will fire right up next morning when i do so. some nights i wont, and next morning sometimes it starts or if I am out and about & need to get a jump, it fires right up.
I feel like its not getting enough cranking amps to get it "over the hump" so to speak and start the car and wonder if the nav or something is draining battery.
I am going to go get a new battery but I wonder if I should the 750 CCA battery or just go with the 680 CCA that is in it already. Autozone lists 4-6 different battery options that all say "Guaranteed OEM FIT" for my ride. And batteries cost $210-260 and that hurts the credit card. Any insight from your dealings with this issue would be greatly appreciated.
THanks
JJ
No issue with battery drain.. Everything checked out just fine... No corrosion of battery terminals or anything. Batteries do not last as long as some assume they do... I have never had a battery from Kia/Hyundia last more than 3 years.. In your case, just put the same size as it came new... And Walmart batteries are just fine.. Do not let anyone tell you different. You have a AGM battery in there,make sure to put the same type in. Be Careful, in my case my car takes a H5 AGM, they also have just a H5.

Last edited by doubledragon5; 12-27-2023 at 06:46 PM.