Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Buying an Elantra! Advices and things to look at?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Smile Buying an Elantra! Advices and things to look at?

Hi guys,

I'm new at the forum, but I'm an active member at Kia and Ford forums. I'm in the process of purchasing an used Elantra. I'm choosing between two 2004 (84K and 100K, both automatic) and a 2005 with 60K and manual transmission. Do you guys have any advices, such as things to look at before buying it? Are there any common problems with these cars? Would you guys recommend an Elantra?

Any advice is appreciate.

Thanks

Old 01-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Banned

those elantras are actually very solid cars, any issues are minor. yeah i can recommend an elantra. if you can afford a newer one, they only get better. i'd get the 2005 with the manual, less mileage, newer and although the auto is pretty solid the manual trans is near indestructible. so here's the normal routine i go through when buying a car:

- if they say they take care of the car, tell them to prove it. ask them to provide maintenance records.

- don't believe them if they say no accidents, again demand proof through a 3rd party company that checks this. carfax i think?

- general walk around for body. see any dents/rust you can't live with? also check underneath for any unusual rotting out of the subframe. body panels can be fixed easily, the frame not so much. use a magnet to locate any possible body filler as its fiberglass.

- check oil to see if there is anything unusual in it...ok if its slightly dark, but you know what i mean. water mixed in, metal particles, etc. unlikely but why not check. same goes for the coolant. should be that neon green colour.

- start it and listen to engine with the hood up. hear anything unusual? odd ticking? rev it a little and see if that reveals anything.

-if you're looking at the manual, listen for any noise from the clutch bearing. if the automatic, check the auto fluid. put some on your fingers, should be cherry red. smell it, should not smell burnt. rub it between your fingers. should be smooth not gritty. if it doesn't pass any of these there could potentially be a transmission problem.

- now the test drive. don't go easy on it, you want to see if you can find any unusual squeaks, creaks, whirrs, etc. be safe, but take some corners hard. floor it and make the engine work to accelerate. hit your breaks hard without anyone on the road around you, see if there's anything unusual there.

- finally if still in doubt have the owner take it to a mechanic that you know and trust to give it a look over. you should pay that bill