Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Elantra -03 heating problem??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Default Elantra -03 heating problem??

Hello

I have just bought my first car, and I chose Elantra 2,0 l CVVT with manual transmission and automatic AC. I have been very pleased with my purchase so far, but now I'm afraid that I have ran in to a malfunction/flaw.

The car's heating system starts pushing really chilly air after about 30 min of driving, although the heating is set on 20-22 degrees. The heating systems seems to function normally for the first 30 minutes. This happens regardless of whether I use AC or nor, and it might be that it happens even a bit more faster when AC is not on. The only way to get the air heated up at a comfortable level is to set the heating to 27-30 degrees.
I think that it is worth mentioning that I live in Finland, and during winter time it is usually around -5 celcius where I live.

Do any of you have a possible diagnosis for this?

BRs, Heikki

Old 03-29-2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by maabel
Hello

I have just bought my first car, and I chose Elantra 2,0 l CVVT with manual transmission and automatic AC. I have been very pleased with my purchase so far, but now I'm afraid that I have ran in to a malfunction/flaw.

The car's heating system starts pushing really chilly air after about 30 min of driving, although the heating is set on 20-22 degrees. The heating systems seems to function normally for the first 30 minutes. This happens regardless of whether I use AC or nor, and it might be that it happens even a bit more faster when AC is not on. The only way to get the air heated up at a comfortable level is to set the heating to 27-30 degrees.
I think that it is worth mentioning that I live in Finland, and during winter time it is usually around -5 celcius where I live.

Do any of you have a possible diagnosis for this?

BRs, Heikki
That is normal for almost all cars with automatic AC. When you set temp to 22-24 it starts to heat up, untill your car's inside gets this temp and doesn't let this temp to get up more than it is set on display.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by zubex
That is normal for almost all cars with automatic AC. When you set temp to 22-24 it starts to heat up, untill your car's inside gets this temp and doesn't let this temp to get up more than it is set on display.

Thank you for giving this a thought. However, the situation is not as simple. First, after 30 minutes or so the heating seems to function normally, which means that it regulates the temperature according to how I have set it. After 30 minutes the temperature starts to go way down and the AC starts pushing really cold air so that the resulting temperature inside the car is not the comfy 22 degrees, but more like 17-19 degrees. My hunch is that the sensor that monitors the temperature inside the car is somehow malfunctioning, or maybe there is some excess air circulating in the cooling system... Does anyone know that what exactly this "sensor that is monitoring the temperature" is?