Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Event Data Recorders or "BlackBoxes"

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Default Event Data Recorders or "BlackBoxes"

I posted this in the tech forum, but thought I would post it here also.

If anyone can help with infomation onthis subject, it would be apprecaited.

FIRST POST:
new06elantra

Status: online I have an 06 elantra and am wondering if the car has an Event Data Recorder, or black box.

If so, can anyone tell me exactly what this black box records and if can be easily disabled.

Something in the owners manual makes me think it does, although nobody at my dealership seems to know anything about it.

"Your vechicle's supplemental restraint system control module is equipped a recording device which may record the use of the seat belt restraint system by the driver and front passenger in certain collisions."

I do not like being secretly monitored, especially if that information can be used against me by places like law enforcement or insurance companies.

Any information on any kind of black box in the 2006 Elantra GLS would be greatly appreciated.
SECOND POST:
new06elantra

I called my dealership. No one there (my salesman or the service department) could give me any information on a "black box" or confirm (or deny) that my car has one. It seemed like they were trying to hide somethig from me.

I was told to call the 800 number on the Hyundai website, which I did.

The person who answered had no idea about these "black boxes" and seemed very uncomfortable with the subject.

I was told by someone at the Hyundai 800 number that the only way I can get any information on a "black box" was to call my dealer back and instruct them to call the private Hyundai dealer tech line, where they could get the information and relay it to me.

I called my dealer back. I was then told that my car DID have a black box, but the person was not exactly sure what it recorded. This person (who was a different person than I spoke with the first time) said he would call the tech line and get details. I hope I hear back from him with the information I requested.

It seems very strange that these people do not know, or want to keep secret, a key component of the cars they sell. I do not like knowing I just spent a good deal of money on a car and didn't know the car is secretly spying on me.

I also found out that information recorded by these "black boxes" can be used against you by police and insurance companies.

I feel car makers, like Hyundai, shoudl disclose to buyers that their cars have these devices. I don't know if I have bought my car, had I known I was being secretly spied on.

If anyone can give me additional infomration about these "black boxes" and how they operate and what they record, as I said before, it would be appreciated.

I would like to know any and all information about these "black boxes" and how they operate.