Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Help no crank on start!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Default Help no crank on start!

Hello All:
I am a new user of this forum and was looking for some help/direction with a problem I'm having with my 2003 Hyundai Elantra. I bought the car roughly 3 weeks ago, it's automatic, and it has 75,000 miles. It's been GREAT for the first 3 weeks. This AM the car started no problem. Let it warm up as I cleaned off the snow. Stopped for coffee on my way to work, and when I went out to restart it, nothing! All lights come on with ignition on. When the key is turned to the start position, nothing! I can tell you the following...
When the key is turned to "ON" I can hear the fuel pump prime, so pump seems OK. When I turn the key to the start position, the clock goes out, but the rest of the dash lights stay on. No clicking sound from starter, or I would suspect the battery. No sound at all!
Any ideas or sugggestions wold be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Takeo

Old 01-29-2011, 11:37 AM

Frequently when batteries start to go, they will have enough power to run accessories, but not crank over the engine. Start there.. put the battery on a charger. Pull it off.. measure the voltage. Does it drop consistently (ie: not hold a charge)? If so, replace it. If its a 2003 with the original battery, you're due for one anyway.

If that's not it, check the connections at the battery terminals. Clean them if necessary. A bad connection can still provide enough power to run accessories, but create enough resistance where it can't power the starter. If that checks out, start looking at the fuses and fuseable links for the starter circuit. Look for bad grounds.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Default Same Problem Here

I am having the same problem. I've replaced the ignition switch and start relay with no success. I can take the start relay cover off and turn the key to the run position then push the contacts on the relay together and it starts up fine and runs good. I've checked all fuses and fusible links. I've traced the wiring harness and don't see any obvious breaks or cuts...although you cant see the entire thing. Also, I noticed when I was replacing the ignition switch earlier today that the steering column dosnt lock when the key is turned off and removed. Is there a switch somewhere that I'm missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated...