Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Warranty Question On Hyundai Elantra

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Default Warranty Question On Hyundai Elantra

Hello everyone,

I bought my first Hyundai back a few months ago and am due for my first oil change with it soon. I looked on the site for certain warranty information but could not find it, so I was wondering if anyone here knew. My question is if I can go to get oil changes at any car place, or if I have to take it in to Hyundai. I have the 10-year, 100,000-mile warranty, so I certainly don't want to do anything to put that at risk. I wish Hyundai would list their warranty guidelines somewhere, but I have not been able to find it yet and could not even find anything in the paperwork when I bought the car. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks muchly!
Dave

Old 11-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Warranty Question On Hyundai Elantra

They don't put it into the owners manual because it is law: No car company can REQUIRE that you only use their dealers for maintenance to keep the warranty intact; that would be an unfair monopoly.

However, you should know that you need to be VERY careful about the oil filter you use, as well as the automatic transmission fluid. See this thread for more details: https://www.hyundaiforum.com/m_10487..._/tm.htm#10683

Old 11-12-2007, 12:17 PM

Thank you for the response, Doohickie. My girlfriend told me the same thing about companies being unable to force you to use their service department for things like oil changes, so it is good to be reassured of that. Thanks for the link, too. I'm pretty stupid when it comes to cars, but I'll try to learn more and understand what I can and cannot use on the Elantra.

Have a good one and thanks again!

Old 12-11-2007, 04:36 PM

We bought a 2002 Elantra GT, largely because of its generous warranty.
The car developed charging system problems during the warranty period.
Auto Zone stores said that the alternator was bad (bad diode pattern).
Red McCombs, our dealer, said that the car just needed a new battery.
I replaced the battery and it required a new one after about 13
months. Auto Zone stores checked the charging system at that time and
said the alternator was bad, it was putting out 9 amps instead of
about 13. Red McCombs said there was no problem, that the car was
performing within Hyundai specifications. I spent a great deal of time
writing and phoning Hyundai in Calfornia, all to avail.
The bottom line is not to be taken in by the Hyundai generous
warranty. It is only as good as the company that stands behind it.
We're senior citizens who don't feel comfortable driving a vehicle
that might break down at any time, especially while we're on extended
road trips. Needless to say, we didn't buy a Hyundai and we didn't buy
a car from Red McCombs.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

No car manufacturer can void your warranty if you use non-OEM parts or other shops.Car manfacturers are not allowed to require you to use their parts (air filters, oil filters, brake pads, etc) or service unless they offer those parts and service for free:

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
States, in part, in Title 15, United States Code, Section 2302, subdivision (c), as follows:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the [Federal Trade] Commission if –

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor.â€

Under this federal statute, a manufacturer, who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle, is prohibited from requiring you to use a particular brand of air filter, oil filter, or other service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer.
Just be sure to get a receipt that clearly lists the service done, the date and the mileage so you have documented proof.