Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Concerned about Side Impact Ratings

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 02:16 PM

I didn't say it was incorrect. That 4 star rating is correct for that particular test. I never claimed otherwise. I am just looking for more data, since there is not that much information available on the Touring. That's all.

If a car can get a 4 star rating on side impact, but another test rates the driver torso area as Poor (and yes, this is for the 2007-2009 model, being poor for the torso area, specifically), then that makes me concerned that a certain test's 4-star rating doesn't tell the whole story.

I'm not asking for agreement, just discussion.

If you can't have a discussion on that, and instead tell me I should go buy a Hummer, then yes, you are being extremely unfriendly.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Look, the Touring is currently rated at 4-stars for side impact. Now, you can believe that or not. That's your choice. I choose to believe it. No car is 100% safe.
I believe it. I didn't say I didn't believe it. Different tests test different things. I'm concerned about specific areas of the body. If I am safe from head injury, but my pregnant wife's torso is not safe, then that is a dealbreaker. I still believe in the overall 4-star rating, but I do need more comprehensive data before I can make my choice.

This doesn't mean the Touring is not for me. It just means i"m not ready to buy until more information comes out. I'm just asking if anyone knows if any specific information is available that I don't know about.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:53 PM

This was one of the things I looked at before we bought. I checked out the European tests for the i30, which also showed good ratings for side impact. I thought the absence of IIHS results was disappointing, but only the IIHS can address that.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by jamsandwich
This was one of the things I looked at before we bought. I checked out the European tests for the i30, which also showed good ratings for side impact. I thought the absence of IIHS results was disappointing, but only the IIHS can address that.

Thanks, I did find the European tests for the i30 and it does look satisfactory. I'm not holding my breath for IIHS to do the test anytime soon, so I may have to base my decision on the Euro tests.