Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Elantra Touring/I30cw parts interchange?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by zielritter
Basically anything from the rear door forward will work on the Touring if it was originally made for the i30 hatch. I've been modding my Touring extensively with i30 parts for almost a year now (both performance and appearance).

Take a look at my car domain garage if you want some ideas (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3826175). Feel free to message me as well with any questions. I'd love to help you out.

The usual Korean import sites in English have plenty of i30 parts: Sharkracing.com, Kspec.com, Koreanautoimports.com. For exhaust you'll have to go custom. For springs, Eibach Federn (German arm) makes i30 Kombi (wagon) springs for the 2.0l Beta version. Intake, go with the K&N Apollo. The rest of the stuff for the most part can be purchased from those three sites I listed.
Wow! Great site for ideas and I'm already quite envious! Looks like I'm going to be spending a lot of time there, and thanks for the kind offer of help with my undoubtedly many questions

My first question is in regards to the Tower Strut addition; one of those sites mentioned that on some of the i30/touring, the Cruise Control module needs to be modified in order for the after market strut to fit. Exactly how much modification are they talking about. Additionally, the extra orange colored trapezoidal brace at the bottom of the vehicle; does this mount onto existing factory bolts or is there drilling and welding involved? I'm looking primarily for a smooth ride and anything to augment the structural integrity of the vehicle would be great.

Last edited by ralphrepo; 09-29-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
No. The rear doors are different between the i30 hatch and the Touring/i30cw.

Basically anything from the FRONT door forward will work on the Touring if it was originally made for the i30 hatch.
It was a generalization...... My chrome i30 door handles fit the rear door, correct? You are for the most part correct, especially with regards to the rear end which is completely different. By the way, is your name Bob?

Old 09-29-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by ralphrepo
Wow! Great site for ideas and I'm already quite envious! Looks like I'm going to be spending a lot of time there, and thanks for the kind offer of help with my undoubtedly many questions

My first question is in regards to the Tower Strut addition; one of those sites mentioned that on some of the i30/touring, the Cruise Control module needs to be modified in order for the after market strut to fit. Exactly how much modification are they talking about. Additionally, the extra orange colored trapezoidal brace at the bottom of the vehicle; does this mount onto existing factory bolts or is there drilling and welding involved? I'm looking primarily for a smooth ride and anything to augment the structural integrity of the vehicle would be great.
I have the Sharkracing strut bar ($99 one I think) and it was a direct bolt on job with no modification even though the site stated the cruise module may need modification. I can't speak for the others, however.

Lol, yes for the orange brace. I laugh because it's sitting in my back seat waiting to be installed this weekend. I had it up on jack stands last weekend to take a quick peak and it does just bolt on over the existing subframe stay piece. You're going to need a breaker bar to get off two of the bolts, though. It's rather snug and probably a bit corroded if it's like mine.

Last edited by zielritter; 09-29-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

It was a generalization...... My chrome i30 door handles fit the rear door, correct?
This site is about providing correct information, not "generalizations". People with questions want specific answers not "generalizations".

You are for the most part correct, especially with regards to the rear end which is completely different.
No, I am TOTALLY correct. The rear doors are different. Just because the door handles fit does not mean everything from the rear doors fit. For example, the vent visors for the i30 only fit the front doors, not the rear. I'm sure the light bulbs from the i30 tail lights fit the Touring tail lights. Does that mean everything from the tail lights forward will work on the Touring if it was originally made for the i30 hatch? No.

By the way, is your name Bob?
No. What does that have to do with anything?

Old 09-29-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
This site is about providing correct information, not "generalizations". People with questions want specific answers not "generalizations".

No, I am TOTALLY correct. The rear doors are different. Just because the door handles fit does not mean everything from the rear doors fit. For example, the vent visors for the i30 only fit the front doors, not the rear. I'm sure the light bulbs from the i30 tail lights fit the Touring tail lights. Does that mean everything from the tail lights forward will work on the Touring if it was originally made for the i30 hatch? No.

No. What does that have to do with anything?
Fair enough, I know some people just want to argue. That's why I thought you might be Bob (visit Elantraclub.com).

Old 09-29-2010, 03:48 PM

Name:  i30cw_2grill.jpg
Views: 1944
Size:  20.1 KB

Since I got the attention of those that seem to know what they're talking about, if you folks hadn't yet a chance to read my other question in the other thread about the ET front grill, I'll ask it again here. Is there any way to change the factory plastic grillwork to something more sturdy? I don't care about the looks so much as something that is more robust structurally. The license plate mounts directly onto the flat area of the grillwork, and the entire piece feels rather flimsy at best. Also, how difficult would it be to change the grill work as a DIY project?

Old 09-29-2010, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

You could always try the i30 version because it is slightly different but it might be drilled for European plates, not American plates. Plus, there is no guarantee it's any stronger.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Fair enough, I know some people just want to argue. That's why I thought you might be Bob (visit Elantraclub.com).
I used to be a member there but that guy Bob (Bobzilla) and Mitch (elantragt, the site owner) are total A-holes.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:37 AM

Another question for you i30/Touring gurus; are the door sill specs the same on both vehicles? I was looking at some of the products on this site http://www.tomive.com/main.html and had asked them via email if the i30 door sills would fit onto my touring. The salesman replied that he didn't really know, but just to be on the safe side, assumed that they would not. Also, are there any differences in the door sill specs between the 2009 Touring line through to 2011s? I mean, if I get something salvage from a few years ago, would it fit into my new car?

And @ zielritter

I noticed that there are plenty of Touring front strut kits being sold, but none for the rear towers; is it not worth pursuing from a mechanical standpoint or is there another rationale? Also, do you know if those shark fin (radio antenna replacements that stick on) antennas are automatic car wash safe? I mean, it's a pretty low profile add on that won't create much drag, or would it? The folks at this site say that it does, but I rather take the word of other car owners: http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_Overview.html

Last edited by ralphrepo; 10-01-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by ralphrepo
Another question for you i30/Touring gurus; are the door sill specs the same on both vehicles? I was looking at some of the products on this site http://www.tomive.com/main.html and had asked them via email if the i30 door sills would fit onto my touring. The salesman replied that he didn't really know, but just to be on the safe side, assumed that they would not. Also, are there any differences in the door sill specs between the 2009 Touring line through to 2011s? I mean, if I get something salvage from a few years ago, would it fit into my new car?

And @ zielritter

I noticed that there are plenty of Touring front strut kits being sold, but none for the rear towers; is it not worth pursuing from a mechanical standpoint or is there another rationale? Also, do you know if those shark fin (radio antenna replacements that stick on) antennas are automatic car wash safe? I mean, it's a pretty low profile add on that won't create much drag, or would it? The folks at this site say that it does, but I rather take the word of other car owners: http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_Overview.html
Hey Ralph,

Have you checked out eBay yet for the door sills? They have stainless plates that are listed as fitting both the i30 and i30cw. I've contemplated getting a set eventually.

Concerning the strut towers, I have not seen any for the rear. I think it would be a good idea pursuing rear ones due to the nature of the vehicle (makes more sense than getting one for the front actually sense the front struts are so close to the firewall).

I know the old Elantra GT guys would tell you that their Hyundai hatches had much less rigidity in the rear than the front. Don't know if that translates over to the new hatches, but I'd be willing to know if you're able to find a set for the rear

As far as the fins, are you planning on removing the existing antenna and sticking one over the wiring? If that's the case, I wouldn't recommend it. I tried removing the cover on my 2008 Sonata to replace with a stick on fin and it didn't work out. I ended up just retrofitting a 2009 Sonata fin onto my 2008.

I think that covers it. Let me know if anything doesn't make sense.

Quick Reply: Elantra Touring/I30cw parts interchange?