Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Elantra Touring/I30cw parts interchange?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by zielritter
Hey Ralph,

Have you checked out eBay yet for the door sills? They have stainless plates that are listed as fitting both the i30 and i30cw. I've contemplated getting a set eventually.

Concerning the strut towers, I have not seen any for the rear. I think it would be a good idea pursuing rear ones due to the nature of the vehicle (makes more sense than getting one for the front actually sense the front struts are so close to the firewall).

I know the old Elantra GT guys would tell you that their Hyundai hatches had much less rigidity in the rear than the front. Don't know if that translates over to the new hatches, but I'd be willing to know if you're able to find a set for the rear

As far as the fins, are you planning on removing the existing antenna and sticking one over the wiring? If that's the case, I wouldn't recommend it. I tried removing the cover on my 2008 Sonata to replace with a stick on fin and it didn't work out. I ended up just retrofitting a 2009 Sonata fin onto my 2008.

I think that covers it. Let me know if anything doesn't make sense.
Great suggestion re Ebay. Looking with keywords "Led door sill" I was able to get several promising hits already. If I can't get something Touring specific, I may just settle for something automotive generic...

As for a rear tower brace strut, what struck me as rather ironic is that the rear cargo cover curtain is actually sitting in the exact spot that would be perfect for tying the two tower together. I wonder what it would take to rig something like that up? Too much effort I suppose, LOL... Still, the thought intrigues me.

So far as the antenna fin; yeah, I had planned on doing what that site had recommended; unscrewing the old antenna, then hooking up the wire from the new fin onto the connection, and sticking it down with the supplied adhesive tape. They have step by step pictures at the link that I had posted above. I was going to do that but had wanted some feedback beforehand. LOL, now you're giving me second thoughts, ha ha...

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. A lot to chew over this week end then. Cheers!

Old 10-17-2010, 11:18 AM

Just cut a deal with this guy on eBay from China for a rear member brace to compliment my front one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-09...#ht_5446wt_732

I didn't want all five pieces so we cut a deal for the rear piece only. I'll let you know if it fits.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the response.

That does look very interesting. I wonder though, are any of those Chinese parts reliable? I know from news reports that China is probably one of the most prolific manufacturers and long term distributors of counterfeit aircraft parts. These things look and feel like the real thing, except that they don't stand up to the design specs and fail under stress. I suspect that the auto parts industry may be just as lucrative for certain counterfeit sellers there. Hence, I wonder, since this is being sold in HK, if there is any reliability in the product. The price seems to be OK, even with the shipping of $150 for all five pieces.

After watching a variety of those crash test videos of Chinese cars (a bunch available on YouTube), I have a very low degree of trust for the Chinese auto or auto parts industry. On the other hand, the ROK has a proven track record but they seem to charge a heck of a lot more. Something to mull over, I guess. At any rate, please let us know how it turns out and thanks for the continued updates.

Last edited by ralphrepo; 10-21-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:57 PM

The picture of the door sills on the Touring is my car. They gave me some money back for some pictures. The picture of the front grill assembly 2 piece is mine also.
So, I am very happy with both items from ebay.

I also put on the plastic chrome handles from ebay. I love them.They were cheap, but they look excellent. I will add them to my garage later.

Attached Thumbnails Elantra Touring/I30cw parts interchange?-dsc00427.jpg  
Old 11-07-2010, 06:01 PM

Yet another quick update. Received my rear member brace and installed it today. It lined up perfectly with the holes under the car, and install was a breeze after a few early issues. Only complaint I have is that the provided nuts and bolts weren't ideal for two of the mounting points and I had to improvise.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by zielritter
Yet another quick update. Received my rear member brace and installed it today. It lined up perfectly with the holes under the car, and install was a breeze after a few early issues. Only complaint I have is that the provided nuts and bolts weren't ideal for two of the mounting points and I had to improvise.
Thanks for the continued updates. Does the vehicle seem to be more stable after the addition? And if you don't mind, what exactly were the few "early issues" that you had? Also, what was wrong with the mounting bolts; is it something that the average "all thumbs" mediocre mechanic (ie. me) can negotiate or will it need somewhat more professional shop skills?

Thanks