Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Max/Air light doesn't go out

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Default Max/Air light doesn't go out

I have had my Touring about a month and a half and love it. However, the light on the Max/Air button never goes out no matter what combination of buttons I turn on.

I asked the dealer to correct this but they couldn't seem to even decide if it was a problem or not. I am hoping someone here can help.

Thanks,

Rudy

Old 06-23-2009, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Push the dial in and the light should go out.

The Fan Speed dial on the left is also a button. Pressing it automatically turns on the MAX A/C setting.
The Temp dial on the right is also a button to turn on normal A/C.

Last edited by NovaResource; 06-23-2009 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Added pic of the upper portion of the dash, just above the dials.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Default different set up

my touring dials are different than the one pictured in other post. I do not have max on dial but a separate button. It looks as if my max is where you have an off button above the dial.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gunwaleman
my touring dials are different than the one pictured in other post. I do not have max on dial but a separate button. It looks as if my max is where you have an off button above the dial.
Like this?

Interesting, I wonder why there is a difference. Either way, pushing the button again should turn it off.

Attached Thumbnails Max/Air light doesn't go out-touringhvac.jpg  
Old 06-24-2009, 05:39 PM

My Max Air light is exactly like yours with regards to mounting position. The button is in the cluster of buttons and not on the dial. The light only goes on if I push the button in. The odd thing is, I am not sure there is really any difference between Max Air and the return air button. If the Max air button is on it also turns on the return air button and I do not feel any difference in the coldness or amount of air being blown into the cabin.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:54 PM

I just checked my air conditioning. There doesn't seem to be any difference in just pushing the return air flow with the air conditioner button pushed in or pushing the max button. The max automatically turns on the return air flow. Of course, shutting off the return does cut the cooling if max is not on. It seems like either one alone gives max cooling. One of the major questions of the universe. Maybe the idea is to save pushing air and then return flow by just pushing one max button which automatically starts the air conditioner and return flow both. Although I don't think any more cooling or air flow would be needed. Used it today and it was plenty cool.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:09 PM

It is encouraging to see all the responses to my question.

My setup is like the second one, part of the collection of buttons. You cannot push the fan dial.

Pushing the Max/Air button does not toggle it on or off. The only way I have found to turn it off is to push the recirculation button. The only way to turn off the Recirculation button is to push the Max/Air button. This is regardless of whether the A/C is on or not.

I just noticed that if the Recirculation button is lit and I press the front defrost button (just to the right) it switches back to Max/Air and turns on the A/C. If I then press one of the other circulation options in the top row the front defrost button goes off but the A/C and Max/Air stay on.

If I turn off the A/C the Max/Air stays on.

The only reason this is a concern to me is that turning on the A/C really pulls down the engine. My 04 Elantra (traded in for the Touring at 95,000 miles) and our 07 Elantra only pull down like this when the Max/Air is engaged. It is barely noticeable otherwise. The impact on gas mileage is also greater than just running regular A/C in the other cars.

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:20 AM

Yes my 2010 Touring is same. When i first got it the max a/c button worked, now its on all the time but at A/C button on the dail works. Correct me if im wrong but A/C should kick on in defrost mode even if your using heat. I believe this is because the a/c works as a air dryer also helping keep moisture out.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:20 PM

Just about all A/C systems will activate the ac compressor when defrost is selected.
Sir, I am inclined to agree with your statement, thanks.