Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

'No start' situation

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Default 'No start' situation

Well, something wierd happened to my '11 ET today. Yesterday, I backed it out of the garage, starting it up from dead cold. I ran it for about 15 seconds, to move it out, then shut it off. It sat there all day, through the night and most of the day today. Went to start it to put it back in the garage and it coughed once, then cranked and cranked. Then cranked and cranked somemore. I let it sit a few minutes, tried it again and it cranked and cranked some more. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and tried it again. This time, I'm thinking it might be flooded, so with my foot down on the gas, it cranked and coughed several times and finally started.

After putting it away in the garage I let it run for few minutes.

Anyone else have this situation? I've never had modern car not start after a very short, cold run time. Is there a cold start injector, maybe sticking?
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Greg

Old 12-26-2011, 07:42 PM

That is strange, have it checked out by your dealer...sounds like a future NPF. Is it cold where you live? Maybe some internal condensation built up on an injector and froze or something. Short starts in cold weather are generally not good because of internal moisture not being able to be burned off. My thoughts anyway...

Last edited by Omnitech; 12-26-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:58 AM

Thanks Omni. Not cold here in the Atlanta area but it was very foggy and humid in the morning following the overnight sit.

I don't want to replicate because I really don't like short, cold start runs also. I'll ask the service dept and keep an eye on things to gather evidence.

Greg