Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

We got our Touring Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Thumbs up We got our Touring Sport

I posted a bunch of pics in my album for anyone who wants to see what a Touring is all about.

We got the car June 10th and so far it drives really well. Lots of room everywhere inside the car. They hit a home run with the styling. The suspension is stiff, and coupled with the Sport's low profile 215/45-17 tires the ride can be a little rough sometimes. At times I feel it could use a tad more power, but then my other car has a Hemi with 360hp and close to 400 ft lbs of torque! I installed the mud guards myself. The front mud guards can be done with the wheels on (turn full lock both ways to get at the screws) but for the rear mud guards the wheels had to come off to get at the screws. Easy to do though. I'll put a chrome exhaust tip on and that should be it. Looking forward to many miles of cruising in the Touring!

Old 06-13-2009, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fastmover
I posted a bunch of pics in my album for anyone who wants to see what a Touring is all about.

We got the car June 10th and so far it drives really well. Lots of room everywhere inside the car. They hit a home run with the styling. The suspension is stiff, and coupled with the Sport's low profile 215/45-17 tires the ride can be a little rough sometimes. At times I feel it could use a tad more power, but then my other car has a Hemi with 360hp and close to 400 ft lbs of torque! I installed the mud guards myself. The front mud guards can be done with the wheels on (turn full lock both ways to get at the screws) but for the rear mud guards the wheels had to come off to get at the screws. Easy to do though. I'll put a chrome exhaust tip on and that should be it. Looking forward to many miles of cruising in the Touring!

Congratulations. We are very close to buying one as well. I have the same concerns as you with regards to power. However, I took my third test drive today and I feel like for every day driving that the car has enough power (I Hope!) I was unable to test drive the sport yet, which is what I want to buy....Did you test drive the base model and is there a big difference in the ride? I find the base models ride very pleasurable, smooth and quiet (except for the engine at times when you are really punching it to get the thing up a hill! LOL!)

I am also trying to figure out how I can get an aftermarket navigation system into the dash. Looks like the plastic will need to be modified.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by CSI007
Congratulations. We are very close to buying one as well. I have the same concerns as you with regards to power. However, I took my third test drive today and I feel like for every day driving that the car has enough power (I Hope!) I was unable to test drive the sport yet, which is what I want to buy....Did you test drive the base model and is there a big difference in the ride? I find the base models ride very pleasurable, smooth and quiet (except for the engine at times when you are really punching it to get the thing up a hill! LOL!)

I am also trying to figure out how I can get an aftermarket navigation system into the dash. Looks like the plastic will need to be modified.
I test drove the Sport when it was -20C! That stiffened things up a bit. I believe all models of the Touring have the same suspension so what you experienced in the base model would be the same in the Sport. As I've said, the low profile tires don't give much over larger cracks in the road so you get a bit more thump in the ride. Overall the ride is tight and quiet. On the hwy it cruises at 120 km/h @ 3000 rpm without too much noise, no straining for the engine.

As for power, it's decent enough but has its limits depending on the speed you're at when you punch it. We have to remember that it's a small engine in the first place so we can't expect too much from it. If we want some fuel economy we're going to pay for it in the power department.

I don't have a clue about installing an aftermarket nav into the dash. The car's so new there can't be much choice out there. What about getting a portable nav?

Old 06-15-2009, 11:56 PM

Well we bought one tonight. We test drove the "ET" with the sport package and bluetooth. Drov eit home about 40 miles from the dealer. So far we really like the ride and comfort. Handles well and the cockpit is very similar in color (blue) as our Santa fe which makes me happy. Enough power for me and what I will be doing with it too. Hyundai has got a really nice car here.

I have a portable navigation (it's in the new car already) but would prefer something in dash with more features and a larger screen....but that can wait for now...

Next on the list is auto dimming rear mirror with homelink and other goodies, wheel locks and a cargo mat.

BTW, we got the gray with black interior.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Default mud guards

don't need to take rear tires off to put on rear mud guards if you have close quarters ratchet screwdriver. 5 bucks at Amazon.com. Put my mud guards on without taking off tires and had no problem.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by CSI007
Well we bought one tonight. We test drove the "ET" with the sport package and bluetooth. Drov eit home about 40 miles from the dealer. So far we really like the ride and comfort. Handles well and the cockpit is very similar in color (blue) as our Santa fe which makes me happy. Enough power for me and what I will be doing with it too. Hyundai has got a really nice car here.

I have a portable navigation (it's in the new car already) but would prefer something in dash with more features and a larger screen....but that can wait for now...

Next on the list is auto dimming rear mirror with homelink and other goodies, wheel locks and a cargo mat.

BTW, we got the gray with black interior.
Congrats on the purchase! I put the wheel locks on the other day. I want to get a scuff guard for the rear bumper but they don't make one (Fit and Matrix have a scuff guard). And I don't mean the mat Hyundai sells to protect the bumper.