Hyundai Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with HF? Ask! Have a suggestion to better HF? Tell us here..

Hyundai IX35 4WD system warning light lack of traction

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 11:52 PM
Unhappy Hyundai IX35 4WD system warning light lack of traction

Hi,
I'm in Australia and have a 2012 IX35 AWD vehicle. I think it's badged differently in the US etc.
The 4WD system warning light is on and when going up a steep driveway the left rear wheel now spins loosing traction.
It's definitely coincided with the light coming on.
Does anyone know if this is fixable at home ( I'm good with vehicle mechanics) OR is it needing a dealer/mechanic investigation

Really appreciate any comments.

Thanks,
Ross

Old 12-29-2020, 07:11 AM
Default 4WD Service light

Hi Ross,

Just had a similar problem on our iX35. Struggled to get free of some ice on the drive. Diff Lock didnt seem to do anything to help the FLHS wheel from spinning out and the 4WD service light came on constant. Did you get anywhere with yours?
Thanks,
Graham

Old 01-25-2021, 06:24 AM

Hi Graham,
My wife’s 2012 IX35 AWD has had the AWD light on intermittently for 12 months, but the last 2 months it has been illuminated constantly.
I have tried to avoid the Hyundai dealership fearing a second mortgage. Purchased a code clearer which was ineffective, as it didn’t show a fault code. Now living in Perth the chances of it actually engaging into AWD are remote as my wife only does short runs to the shops all on tar. No chance of ice here.
My thinking (long shot) was perhaps a jammed solenoid, due to the lack of use. I crawled underneath the vehicle today to see if my thoughts could be realised, so armed with a large hammer, I located the large solenoid on the rear transfer case, and gave it a couple of solid hits, similar to hitting a starter motor solenoid when it jams. I also made sure the leads were securely plugged in. Well I fired up up the old girl, and the light has gone out. I couldn’t believe my eyes.
i.e. I did also remove the AWD fuse 20a which is located under the bonnet (fuse box behind passenger headlight). After removing I started the car, then turned off and reinstalled fuse (this also may have helped).
Good Luck.
Cheers
Ed

Old 10-15-2021, 08:44 AM
Default Same issue

Hi Ed

i have the same issue. I opened the fuse box under the bonnet. I can see there are many 20A… which one is it?

I am at Perth too, and I see auto store sales them like cheap. But is it possible to let me know which one is it? If you have a photo that would be awesome.

so do you unplug it and start the car. Then turn off the car and plug back the new fuse?

thank you

Originally Posted by Knuckle
Hi Graham,
My wife’s 2012 IX35 AWD has had the AWD light on intermittently for 12 months, but the last 2 months it has been illuminated constantly.
I have tried to avoid the Hyundai dealership fearing a second mortgage. Purchased a code clearer which was ineffective, as it didn’t show a fault code. Now living in Perth the chances of it actually engaging into AWD are remote as my wife only does short runs to the shops all on tar. No chance of ice here.
My thinking (long shot) was perhaps a jammed solenoid, due to the lack of use. I crawled underneath the vehicle today to see if my thoughts could be realised, so armed with a large hammer, I located the large solenoid on the rear transfer case, and gave it a couple of solid hits, similar to hitting a starter motor solenoid when it jams. I also made sure the leads were securely plugged in. Well I fired up up the old girl, and the light has gone out. I couldn’t believe my eyes.
i.e. I did also remove the AWD fuse 20a which is located under the bonnet (fuse box behind passenger headlight). After removing I started the car, then turned off and reinstalled fuse (this also may have helped).
Good Luck.
Cheers
Ed

Old 10-25-2021, 02:27 AM
Default AWD fail light coming on more and more frequently.

Originally Posted by Knuckle
Hi Graham,
Good Luck.
Cheers
Ed
Morning Ed,

Hopefully you still remember this topic and even still have the Hyundai as I'm having a similar issue and wondered if I could pick your brain a little?

My car's a 2011 iX35 - 2.0i Petrol Auto AWD

So, The AWD light was much more intermittent till this week - only happened when the missus was driving and she described a small thud when in came on. Turn off ignition and for a while it was fine. We live in a very hilly part of north Italy - so it's likely we use the 4WD a lot - hardly any motorway miles.

Took the car out yesterday for a drive and happened twice to me - once while I was climbing a single lane steep hill. Must admit the car felt pretty gutless on the ascent. Didn't seem to want to switch down a gear (it's an auto) and was relieved to get to the top of the hill !

Had a look under the car to see if I could identify where the solenoid might be that you described - maybe I was looking in the wrong place. - it's at the rear of the car ?

I see the driveshaft coming our of the gearbox at the front runs the prop (in 2 sections) to the back diff. Is that where the AWD is engaged - or is it at the front of the car (otherwise I guess the prop turns constantly even when on 2WD drive?

I've posted some pics of the underside - probably I need to jack the rear up and get a few more angles on the rear section - will do that later.

Thanks if you can give me a hint how to try this 'quick-fix' ? All the other posts I found on similar issue seem to point to worn splines inside the transfer casing which sounds expensive

All the best, Kev

Here's the front section

Then there's a join

And into the diff/transfer casing