Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

60K mile maintenance and water pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Default 60K mile maintenance and water pump

I took my 2001 Santa Fe to my mechanic for the 60K miles maintenance.
They are saying that Hyundai lists having the water pump replaced but I checked online at Hyundai and called the dealership and they said the water pump is not part of their listing to be replaced just timing belt and spark plugs (plus flushing and stuff).
Anyone know about the water pump?

Old 08-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 60K mile maintenance and water pump

If the car has 60K miles and the water pump is original, it's a good idea to replace it while your'e in there. No reason to re-install a 60K original water pump (in my opinion). Since the labor to remove it is already being paid for (as part of the belt replacement) you might as well let them install a new pump.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:54 PM

It was going to cost an additional $141 to replace it. I found out that the water pump is included in my 10 year/100K mile warranty so if I do ever need to replace it, it would be covered under the warranty. I don't think I need to spend $141 if I don't have to.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:45 PM

The water pump does NOT have to be removed to change the t-belt.
But its smarter to inspect for signs of leakage since your in there.
The timing belt teeth are what rotate the w/p turbine. Once the tension on the belt is released, the belt slides right off.
Although, you are much better off replacing it since the vehicle is 7 years old.
Heat from the motor dries out the seal on it, which makes it leak.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:35 PM

Hey Joshewuhh,

Do you know if there are any instructions for timing belt replacement on line somewhere? I don't want to buy the factory manual, and I can't find a Haynes. I've done timing belts before, but I like to have all the info at hand before I begin.
Thanx,
Ken

Old 04-05-2008, 03:14 PM

Bump

Old 04-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.hmaservice.com/

Old 04-05-2008, 05:53 PM

If NovaResource is the "Yen" for water pump advice, I am the "Yang". We've engaged in this discussion before, neither of us is totally right or wrong, so I'll not belabor the issue. I see no problem, in my opinion, reinstalling a perfectly good water pump during the timing belt replacement. Should the pump start to go bad, it will likely show signs (squealing, dripping, etc) in advance of total failure. I just replaced the water pump for the first time on a car that is 13 years old with 190K+ miles on it. If I had followed the 60K recommendation, I would have wasted money on two pumps I never needed.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, and I should clarify my post above. You don't NEED to change it but I'm of the opinion that if you're in there already, it's won't be a bad idea.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:29 PM

There are many threads on the forum answering that question. If you have trouble finding them, you should start a seperate thread for forum members to repsond to.

Quick Reply: 60K mile maintenance and water pump