Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Cam Gear Loose

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Default Cam Gear Loose

My 6 month old 2006 Santa Fe has a loose cam gear.. It was an intermittent problem of sounding like I had a valve tap (that is what a number of people told me it sounded like). I took it in 3 times and the dealercould not found out what was the problem. The other day I was driving it andthe noise was so loud. By the time I got to the dealer the noise stopped and I insisted they look at it. They said the computer said there was a timing problem. They then said it wasa loose cam gear and that they arereplacing it. Could someone tell me if this means there is other damage to my engine? Will I be encountering problems from now on? Should I be trying to invoke the lemon law? Thanks.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Default RE: Cam Gear Loose

My 6 month old - 2006 santa fe has a loose cam gear. I have been having intermittent problems with it sounding like a valve tap (that is what people told me the noise sounded like to them). Each time I took it in to the dealer the noise had stopped and they said they could not find anything wrong with it. Finally the other day it was so loud, I drove directly to the dealer... the noise stopped before I got there but I insisted they look at the car. The computer said there were timing problems and later they told me the cam gear was loose and they were replacing it....(yikes 4 days in a rental car). Can anyone tell me if this has caused other damage? Will I be having problems from here on out? Do I need to invoke a lemon law? Thanks.