Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Check Engine Light On and Problems Exhilerating? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Default Check Engine Light On and Problems Exhilerating? Help!

I have a 2004 Santa Fe and today my check engine light turned on, on my way to work I ignored it and was going to take care of it when I got home. But on my way home I went to get on the free way and when I was merging and exhilerating my car started kicking a bit ( only way I know how to describe it) and it wouldn't exhilerate past 20 mph so I pulled over. Turned it off and tried to start out again then it happened again, (tried this a couple of times)the tech omintor thing would reach 3and only go to 20mph. I pulled over and waited for assistance and when he got there he started the car up and drove it all the way home (30 or so miles) with no further problems. Should I take it in to get it checked out or wait till the issue arises again? Anyone have any similar problems? He minchined that it could possibly be bad gasoline or something? Could this be the problem? HELP PLEASE! Any advise is greatly apreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Default RE: Check Engine Light On and Problems Exhilerating? Help!

In a nut shell, todays cars run on what is called On Board Diagnistc generation II protocol, or OBDII. It is a thinking car and is constantly chacking the various components to operate. If the computer senses something is amiss and "thinks" something is wrongit automatically goes into a fail safe or limp mode. It keeps running but at a limited speed/rpm. This should generate a trouble code and the engine light comes on. Even if the problem goes away, there should be a code that you need to retrieve with a scanner. If it was bad gas. that is possible, the problem would still exist untill you've changed the fuel.

If you dont have a scanner, have it done at a shop. It may be nothing but a false trigger or something pending. You can purchase a scanner and get a good one for around $200. Two trips to a shop just to read the codes is about that. They are not that hard to learn to use. But if you are comfortable with the way the car runs now, wait till it happens again and then have it checked out. I dont like to take chances and have always addressed a potential problem in my driveway rather than 100 miles from home in the middle of no where.