Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

The Plot Thickens...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Default The Plot Thickens...

2008 Satan Fe 3.3L

After 44 business days in the shop, discovering that the factory forgot to install the rear head gasket, that issue is resolved.

Beginning the next morning after that ordeal, the engine began making a loud knock at cold start until getting oil pressure. I thought it was a lifter leaking down. Then within 2 weeks it progressed to making the noise at hot starts also. Now it has a constant tick at hot idle, and above 2,000 revs it sounds like a rod knock! This is the engine from hell! It doesn't even have 10,000 miles on it yet.

Here is the knock at cold start up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxczbl_ktME
Here is the knock at hot start up and revving. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z28jKUCM34A

Last edited by Cruzian; 10-18-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:13 PM

wouldn't worry you have another 50k miles on the warranty. Run it like you stole it, and have them replace the motor before the warranty ups.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:34 AM

^ Not sure what you're saying there. No, what won't do what?

It continues to knock, a bit louder now, and the dealer is waiting for Hyundai to bail them out. I haven't had time to deal with it much lately, but I'm thinking the dealer is going to have to bite the bullet, eat the cost, and deal with Hyundai on their own time.

A Chrysler/Jeep mechanic thinks that driving 8,000 miles with no rear head gasket could have leaked a little coolant into the oil and fried a bearing. It sounds like maybe a wrist pin.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Default Update

It was a rod knock. I saw the connecting rod bearings after they pulled the bottom end apart, and just one bearing insert looks like it was gouged out with a screwdriver. I don't know what caused it. They bought back the car (the dealer, not Hyundai) and gave us a brand new 2010 SF in exchange. The 3.5 liter is actually too powerful for the car! Nicer interior, too!

Hyundai blamed the dealer for the problems. Long story short, I think Hyundai's warranty is pretty worthless if they won't stand behind it and the dealer has to eat the extra cost. If this dealer had wanted to be difficult we would have ended up in court.