Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2003 Sonata 2.4 Weird Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Default 2003 Sonata 2.4 Weird Transmission

Hey there guys and gals.

I have a 2003 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L automatic with 133.000Km (83.000 miles) on it.
I bought the car at 82.000Km (51.000 miles).
About a month or two ago I went and changed my transmission oil.Everything was good but a few weeks ago the car started to act weird.
For example when I get of a ramp to get on the highway and start to give it more gas to enter the traffic the car will take a few seconds before it speeds up.
When you give it gas it takes a bit to react and then it down shifts and increases the RPM all the way up to 2700-3000RPM and then it goes.
Another example is when I'm in traffic and I move really slow the car will move then I brake only a bit and press on the gas again the car will jerk and then change gears and go.
It's kind of annoying for a car with this millage to have transmission problems.I'm the second owner and before me it belonged to a old gentlemen.
I also added some Trans-Medic in the transmission but no difference.
I went to my mechanic and he told me that it might be the computer and it might need a resofting and that only the dealership can do.
I really want your opinion on this because I'm sure the dealership will pop out some crazy thing like I need a new transmission or something like that,that will cost me a arm and a leg to change
plus if I pay $1500 for a transmission is not worth because I will never get back that money.

Please let me know if you need more details and I will be more then happy to add them.

Thank you in advance to all of you that took the time to read and answer

PS:If I use the Tiptronic the car works flawless without any jerks or anything.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:47 AM

What kind or type of replacement fluid did you use?

Old 05-30-2010, 07:14 AM

It is original Hyundai fluid.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by al3x3y
It is original Hyundai fluid.
Just eliminating an obvious issue. I'm not sure the Trans-Medic was the best approach. The fact that the manual over-ride works suggest it is a control system issue and not a failing clutch pack. The are several shaft speed sensors and solanoids in the tranny that are known to fail occassionally. I think the next step is get a code reader on the car and see if a transmission error code has been generated. Your general repair mechanic is probably an OK guy, but in this case I would find a mechanic that specializes in electronic transmission repair.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by ken99
Just eliminating an obvious issue. I'm not sure the Trans-Medic was the best approach. The fact that the manual over-ride works suggest it is a control system issue and not a failing clutch pack. The are several shaft speed sensors and solanoids in the tranny that are known to fail occassionally. I think the next step is get a code reader on the car and see if a transmission error code has been generated. Your general repair mechanic is probably an OK guy, but in this case I would find a mechanic that specializes in electronic transmission repair.

Thanks a lot for your answer.I think the only solution is to go to the Hyundai Dealership and ask them to check the cars computer and see what's going on.
Do you have any idea how much this would cost?I never fix my car at the dealership but I know its darn expensive!

Thanks again.I appreciate your help

Old 05-31-2010, 07:49 PM

General drive issue complaint with GDS involved starts at 1hr shop rate..

Our place be $90 + state sales tax to start.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Default 2003 Sonata 2.4 Weird Transmission

Hi,

What did the dealership confirmed on your issue which you were having in your car and how you got it fixed. How much you had to pay to get this fixed. Can you kindly also confirm the complete diagnostic process which dearlership followed to find out the root cause and how did they get it fixed.

I need to take my car tomorrow or day after tomorrow to dealership for the same problem. Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks