Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2003 Sonata Dies without warning - dealer can't help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Unhappy 2003 Sonata Dies without warning - dealer can't help

At a loss. Dealer cannot diagnose.
I have a my 2003 Sonat GLS ,2.7. It only has 22,000 miles on it.That's right, 22,000 miles. It has staled and quit running on 4 occasions in the last 2 months. Wait 10-15 minutes and starts right up, but may stall again after going again.
short distances won't fail. 3 times I was on the highway when it died another time my daughter drove it around townfor 30 minutes (no highways) after 1st dealer looked at it. it diedagain just around the corner from our home. She won't be driving it anymore. Took it to 2 Hyundai dealerships. First one found nothing. Second dealer gave me a loaner car and they had it for almost 3 weeks trying to test it out, including having their porter drive the car around on 2 separate occasions for a good 30-45 minutes while with the computer attached in attempt to re-create the stalling condition. They tested everything imaginable, including fuel pump pressure. No luck. They recommendaed spending $1400 on various "fixes" with no guarantee that the car would actually be fixed. THeir recommendations were: 1)cam position sensor, 2) throttle position sensor, 3) complete engine tune up -plugs and wires, 4) fuel injection decarb. Dealer repair shop manager indicated they had 15 hours tied up in attempting to diagnose. Very frustrating. Let me know if you an idea as to what the problem is. NOTE: a good friend of mine works as Asst. GM for the dealership, so I felt comfortable with this dealer and their effort. Unfortunately they could not diagnose the problem.

Anyone out there with a solution?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:50 PM

Mine did the same thing, it was the crank sensor. It didn't throw a DTC until after spent over $1000 throwing parts at it. I4 is much more expensive to replace than V6. Fails when heated up. cools down and starts up again. look into it.
Originally Posted by vegascoach
At a loss. Dealer cannot diagnose.
I have a my 2003 Sonat GLS ,2.7. It only has 22,000 miles on it.That's right, 22,000 miles. It has staled and quit running on 4 occasions in the last 2 months. Wait 10-15 minutes and starts right up, but may stall again after going again.
short distances won't fail. 3 times I was on the highway when it died another time my daughter drove it around townfor 30 minutes (no highways) after 1st dealer looked at it. it diedagain just around the corner from our home. She won't be driving it anymore. Took it to 2 Hyundai dealerships. First one found nothing. Second dealer gave me a loaner car and they had it for almost 3 weeks trying to test it out, including having their porter drive the car around on 2 separate occasions for a good 30-45 minutes while with the computer attached in attempt to re-create the stalling condition. They tested everything imaginable, including fuel pump pressure. No luck. They recommendaed spending $1400 on various "fixes" with no guarantee that the car would actually be fixed. THeir recommendations were: 1)cam position sensor, 2) throttle position sensor, 3) complete engine tune up -plugs and wires, 4) fuel injection decarb. Dealer repair shop manager indicated they had 15 hours tied up in attempting to diagnose. Very frustrating. Let me know if you an idea as to what the problem is. NOTE: a good friend of mine works as Asst. GM for the dealership, so I felt comfortable with this dealer and their effort. Unfortunately they could not diagnose the problem.

Anyone out there with a solution?

Old 08-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Default Crankshaft sensor- 2003 Sonata

Thanks for the reply. Question: do you have any idea why it took all the expense and time that to throw a code? And, how did you know for sure that the problem was solved?

Old 08-03-2011, 02:21 PM

Question: do you have any idea why it took all the expense and time that to throw a code?

Lifes is not always fair.

And, how did you know for sure that the problem was solved?

Hasn't happened again in over two years.