Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2015 Sonata Hybrid check charging system warning every week

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 06:39 PM
Exclamation 2015 Sonata Hybrid check charging system warning every week

About once a week I get the dashboard warning "Hybrid System Warning, Safely Stop and Do No Drive, Check Charging System". So I pull over and turn the engine off on on three times and everything clears up with no check engine light on. I read this trick on a Prius forum. The car runs fine for a next week or so and then it happens again. I'm an Uber driver and I drive a lot. I have 239K miles on my car.

There doesn't seem to be any common denominator when it happens. I took it in and had the auxiliary battery checked after it happened once and it was fully charged. I had the dealer replace this battery about a year ago. They seem to only last about three years which was the same experience on the Prius which I had for 13 years. Best car I ever owned. I would have bought another one but not enough room for an Uber car

Today when I got the warning I attached my code reader it came back with "no codes". I did this is while the check engine light was still on before cycling the engine on and off three times.

Any ideas? I would take it to my dealer but I know they would charge me for a diagnostic and tell me there's nothing wrong with it and no error codes.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:07 AM

The system is detecting a problem and letting you know.
The on and off 3 times is allowing the system to reset, but not correcting the problem.
You do have some choices, however, and one is to disregard the notice and when it fails completely it will be hopefully easier to find the problem or take it in and have the problem found and corrected. Either one will cost you some $$$. the decision is which will cost you more, fixing it now , or waiting until it breaks down on the road.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:31 AM

A simple code reader may not be able to access the module that is having the issue??
I would call dealer and ask questions before taking it in??
Check recalls to see if this is a known issue??

Old 07-09-2022, 12:26 AM

I just had this happen, any updates on the solution to the problem?

Old 07-09-2022, 04:55 PM

Unfortunately,
the last person never bothered to tell us what was found or if anything was done.

Hybrids are not new, but people trained to work on them are not that many.and that doesn't leave you with too much choice as to where you can take it for diagnosis and repair..
One thing you can be reasonably sure of , and that is it most likely won't repair itself.
Even if we were to offer some suggestions it still will need to be checked by a shop that has the equipment and training to work on hi voltage problems.

You might ask around , but you very likely will need to have a dealership check it over.. They should have the equip and trained people to check it.