Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Alternator and turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Default Alternator and turn signals

Hello,
Recently, my wife's '06 Sonata has started blowing the fuses for the turn signals, on both the turn signal and hazard flasher sides of the circuit. It happens totally at random, and might blow both fuses or just one. 3 nights ago, she called me to say that it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear (auto trans). It was stuck in the trans limp mode, with the dash indicator reading D1. She limped it home at 15 miles an hour (she was just on the other side of our neigborhood) and i started checking things out. Sitting in the driveway, if i turned the headlights off, it would immediatly go to D, lights back on, it went to D1 again. It has done this before, but i later found out she had spilt coke on the shifter.
I only had a cheapo analog meter, but it looked like battery was putting out 10-11 volts with the engine off, and 12-13 from the alt with the engine running, which i know is low for both sources.I drove the car to work the next day, and it was fine, even with the lights on. took it to Advance Auto and had them check it out with their computer. He said battery was fine, 12.5 volts, but alternator wasn't putting out anything. I drove the car again this morning, and everything seems fine, but the hazard flasher fuse has blown again. I would think if the alternator were truly dead, the battery would be exhaused by now, after two days of driving around town and two morning commutes using the headlights. I have checked for loose connections, and bought a better digital meter to check the battery and alt out again today. I know my trooper's alternator cuts out durning hard excelleration to take a load of the engine, but it is disabled from doing this with the lights one. Does the Sonata have this "feature"? And why can't they put a decent set of guages in a car anymore??? [:@]

Old 03-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Alternator and turn signals

Even if you bought the Sonata used, if it has less than 60,000 miles on it, it still has (full) warranty left. Let the dealer untangle this mess.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Default RE: Alternator and turn signals

if she spilled drink or coffee on the shifter it will cause the car do that funky stuff with the shifter, d1 on the display when the car is in drive. with the fuse blowning, something is definately grounding out causing the fuse to blow.