Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

A/C Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2024 | 07:50 PM
|
Default A/C Issues

I have a 2012 limited 2.4.
The A/c blows cool at first then gets warm hot. Refrigerant levels are good . Fan comes on. But when turning A/C on it makes a hissing sound at first. But goes away . When increased rpm.
I have noticed lately there has been no condensation dripping from drain tube. Also static pressure is 105 both sides.
Are these the symptoms of a faulty thermal expansion valve?

Thank you for your time.

I should have started off with. As I was at a stop light the A/C got warm hot. Prior to that the A/C was working just fine. It cooled again briefly . But right back to hot air.
I had the A/C system refrigerant recovered. At a shop. And vacuumed for an hour. Also held pressure for an hour. And refilled.
2000rpm
Low side 11psi
High side 200

Idle
Low side 31
High side 190

Compressor gets noisy when A/C is turned on

The car does have 155,000 miles on it . Nothing major has been replaced. Besides the remanufactured engine.

Old 08-12-2024 | 12:25 AM

Based on the symptoms you're describing, it does sound like a faulty thermal expansion valve (TXV) could be a potential cause. The TXV regulates the flow of refrigerant into the evaporator, and if it's malfunctioning, it could lead to inconsistent cooling. The fact that your A/C blows cool at first and then gets warm, combined with no condensation dripping, suggests the system might not be circulating refrigerant properly. The hissing sound you hear could also be related to refrigerant flow issues.
The pressures you’re seeing on the low and high sides, especially at idle, seem off for a properly functioning system. Low side pressure being too low and high side pressure being too high could indicate problems with refrigerant flow, which could be due to a faulty TXV or other issues in the system.
Since the compressor is also getting noisy, there might be additional problems with the compressor or other components in the A/C system. If the TXV is not the issue, checking other components like the compressor, or having a professional diagnose the system with advanced tools could help identify the root cause.