Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

How to replace cosmetic/sunshade mirror

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Default How to replace cosmetic/sunshade mirror

I don't know how, but I broke it. Now the sunshade visor won't stay up and is too loose. How can I replace/remove it? I know there are wires running it (so that the light turns on when I uncover the mirror) so I haven't ripped it out yet. Please help! It keeps obstructing my view.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Default Everyone has this visor problem!!!

If your vehicle is under warranty, you can take it in and have it repaired. If it is NOT under warranty, even though the dealerships will tell you it's a defect, there are no current recalls for this particular problem. Absolutely TERRIBLE customer service! All they will tell you is there is nothing you can do except file a case with Consumer Affairs.
If you want to do that, you can call 800-633-5151. If enough people report it, we might get a recall.
Good luck!

Old 09-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kelly.sippel@gmail.com
If your vehicle is under warranty, you can take it in and have it repaired. If it is NOT under warranty, even though the dealerships will tell you it's a defect, there are no current recalls for this particular problem. Absolutely TERRIBLE customer service! All they will tell you is there is nothing you can do except file a case with Consumer Affairs.
If you want to do that, you can call 800-633-5151. If enough people report it, we might get a recall.
Good luck!
First, derrickkim's post was made 3 and a half years ago (see the little 03-14-2007 07:31 PM date and time stamp at the top of the post). derrickkim hasn't logged on since then. Please check the date of posts your reply to, thanks.

Second, a bad mirror/visor is not something that would warrant a recall. Recalls are to repair things that can cause harm or damage. And Yes, if it under warranty, simply go back to the dealer and have it replaced under warranty. That's what I did when the visor on my wifes 2006 Kia Sedona would not stay up. If it is not under warranty then the car is too old and therefor, the item has simply worn out from use. It's not defective or a safety issue, it's simply worn. That is not something to complain about to call Consumer Affairs over.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:13 AM
Default Thank you, Captain O...

Firstly, I wrote on this "old" post deliberately because I wanted to get some information out there to people who are searching for it. I could find no assistance when I looked, just a LOT of people with the same issue. I will not apologize for trying to be helpful. Thank you for your lack of insight.
Secondly, Consumer Affairs were the people who told me that, potentially, if enough people called regarding the problem, a recall could be considered. Several posts all over the internet regarding this very issue all say, and I know this to be true of my own experience with a dealership, they have been told it's a factory defect. The company who made a defective product should, in fact, fix their mistakes. Perhaps you should check with Consumer Affairs before deciding for them what should warrant their time.
Thirdly, if you don't think the lousy POS visor hanging in your face while driving is a type of safety issue, you must be very short but should consider others of a more average stature.
Lastly, if you are not going to provide any assistance and merely criticize, perhaps you should not waste your obviously valuable time on "old" posts.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Firstly, I wrote on this "old" post deliberately because I wanted to get some information out there to people who are searching for it. I could find no assistance when I looked, just a LOT of people with the same issue. I will not apologize for trying to be helpful. Thank you for your lack of insight.
Open a new thread next time.

Secondly, Consumer Affairs were the people who told me that, potentially, if enough people called regarding the problem, a recall could be considered.
Then you were told wrong. Recalls are for defects that cause a safety issue. Defective parts that do not cause a safety issue are covered under warranty.Hyundai might create a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) about he issue but it does not warrant a recall.

Several posts all over the internet regarding this very issue all say, and I know this to be true of my own experience with a dealership, they have been told it's a factory defect. The company who made a defective product should, in fact, fix their mistakes. Perhaps you should check with Consumer Affairs before deciding for them what should warrant their time.
And again, Hyundai will replace the defective part as long as it's under warranty. If the car is no longer under warranty then it is the responsibility of the owner to pay for that replacement.

Thirdly, if you don't think the lousy POS visor hanging in your face while driving is a type of safety issue, you must be very short but should consider others of a more average stature.
I'm 6'2", how tall are you? A falling visor is not a safety issue. Annoying? Yes. Safety issue? No. If a falling visor causes you problems while driving then I suggest you stop driving.

Lastly, if you are not going to provide any assistance and merely criticize, perhaps you should not waste your obviously valuable time on "old" posts.
Interesting, I'm here providing assistance constantly. Take a look at my posts. You, however, have just 2 posts both criticizing Hyundai.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-24-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:56 PM

This happened to my 2008 Sonata but it was replaced under warranty. Just broke one day. The dealer had a whole bunch of them stacked up in the parts room. At one time there was a campaign to replace these which has expired. It is a common problem. In my case I had to have it replaced because otherwise I had to use velcro on it and the headliner to keep it from obscuring my view.

Hyundai ought to step up to the plate and replace all of these things. It can't be that expensive to fix this very common problem. It's not like rebuilding or replacing an engine. The service writer actually replaced it in about two minutes. One screw holds them on.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:46 PM

I had this same problem with my visor but the dealership is fixing it free and ordered the parts for it; I bought the car new.....its a 2009 Sonata

Old 10-02-2010, 01:47 PM

How can we find out if the 2009 Sonatas are being recalled for any reasons?

Old 10-14-2010, 06:58 PM

I am having the same exact problem with my 06 right now. I am afraid to take it in to the dealership because of how much it might cost...i have almost 95k on mine right now.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Try searching on eBay for a used one.