Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Problem with Blackberry in 2011 Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Smile Problem with Blackberry in 2011 Sonata

Just bought a new 2011 Sonata and have found out that my Blackberry is not supported by Hyundai for bluetooth parring. (Verison Tour version 9630) It will pair up initially but when I leave the car and return, it trys to re pair and just says "Pairing Failed" about once every second. The only way to get it to stop is for me to turn off the car and then my phone unlocks and allows me to turn off the bluetooth connection on my phone. I have talked to Hyundai with no luck. I am following instructions to the letter. Trying to find out if there is some unknown trick to get this to work. Very disappointed so far about this, Just got the car Monday.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:26 AM

I had the same problem with a BlackBerry Curve 8520 on T-Mobile. Mine wasn't "approved" either. I solved the problem by getting an HTC Droid...connects and re-connects every time. Life's too short - just get a new phone that works. I do think their "Bluetooth" advertising should have a disclaimer stating it will not work with all phones.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:38 PM

Hyundai provides a Blue Tooth compatibility chart. It doesn't seem like they are hiding anything.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/BlueTooth/

Old 01-09-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by rallyman
Hyundai provides a Blue Tooth compatibility chart. It doesn't seem like they are hiding anything.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/BlueTooth/
The compatibility chart, unfortunately, only tells part of the story. Far more complex than it implies, with many pitfalls at the moment.

I also have a new 2011 Sonata -- mine is a 2.4L Limited, without Nav.

Trim level is important, because it turns out that we're dealing with 3 different radios, with different BT implementations. The basic radio (non-Nav) in the Limited appears somewhat different from the GLS radio, and the Nav version is clearly different.

Turns out that the BT in the Nav unit is far more forgiving and compatible with Blackberry's and other devices than the BT units in the other radios. The compatibility chart doesn't distinguish this fact -- you should be aware of it.

My T-Mobile branded Blackberry 8900 is listed on the compatibility chart as having passed all tests. Unfortunately -- we don't know which radio was used for the testing, nor do we know which version of the Blackberry OS was used.

My 8900 pairs with my non-Nav Sonata, but voice dialing is unusable, even though the phonebook transfers. The contacts apparently get mangled on their way to the car; they appear Last Name / First Name, and pronunciation is like something out of an alien invaders movie -- and sadly, you must speak that same dialect of Martian if you hope to have the car recognize the Last Name / First Name you are trying to speak.

BTW: the Hyundai service manager I dealt with rounded up a few other Blackberry's -- all different models -- and determined that they ALL have this problem with ALL the non-Nav Sonata's in which she tried the experiment (half a dozen brand new cars on the lot). Not just my blackberry, and not just my Sonata.

I'm told that "Hyundai is now aware of the problem" and working on it...but this is all word of mouth, nothing written..and I still can't use voice dialing. The phone receives call in the via BT just fine, and if the call is initiated via the handset, that also works just fine -- just can't voice dial through the Sonata using my phones phonebook. BTW: voice dialing, speaking the number, works beautifully with Sonata voice recognition -- just can't expect it to understand any name spoken as an Earthling might pronounce them...

- Jon

Old 01-15-2011, 08:37 PM

2011 2.0T Limited w/Nav here. Paired up perfect to my BB 9650 (Sprint) - for what ever that is worth to you.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by wc4r
2011 2.0T Limited w/Nav here. Paired up perfect to my BB 9650 (Sprint) - for what ever that is worth to you.
Thanks - the more info we can gather on this issue the better. From the experimenting I did, it seems that the BB's work better with the Nav unit BT implementation.

As of Friday, I actually got a reply back from Hyundai indicating that they've assigned a case number to the issue I described to them, and I may expect follow up this week. We'll see what happens next...

- Jon

Old 01-19-2011, 07:58 PM

I found what works for me: I turn off bluetooth when I exit the car, and do not turn it on again until I turn the car on and the radio/xm/whatever comes on. I had the same pairing failed loop unless I did that.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:29 AM
Default Thanks

I did as you suggested with no luck. Same pairing error. I have a 2011 Sonata limited without the Nav pkg. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:57 PM

Guys, I got a 2011 2.0T limited. My blackberry bold did not want to pair up again after the initial setup. What I found out is, you will need to "Disable" the Encryption under the device properties in your phone. Once you disable that, it will pair up fine. I never have problem since then. Hope this help.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:45 PM

I just bought a 2011 sonata ltd two days ago. The initial pairing with my Torch and first 5 or so times getting in and out of the car the phone paired no problem. It actually worked great.

Since then, no matter what I do, (including deleteing from phone and car, and pairing successfully for the time that I am in the car thereafter) I get that awful "Pairing failed" voice over and over. I disabled encryption, and even tried turning my radio off and on, all as previously suggested in this forum or another.

The only thing that I did that I can think of is that I had to pull the battery out of my BB for a hard reset due to some other problem. But since then I have deleted car from phone and phone from car, and started from scratch. No luck what-so-ever.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue? I am in the car at least 2 hours every workday, and I like the handsfree for convenience and safety.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Problem with Blackberry in 2011 Sonata