Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

storing sonata for 13 months

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Default storing sonata for 13 months

I am going to be "in Charge" of my son's 2003 Sonata V6 while he is gone for thirteen months in the Czech Republic. I am trying to get a garage to store it in. The plan is to drive it around once a month for 30 minutes or so to keep the tires from dry rotting and the battery charged. Should I be unhooking the battery between rides or is it OK to leave it hooked up.

I posted a question about the lights coming on by themselves when he left it parked in front of my house last summer for a month. I noticed the parking lights and tail lights were on when I drove up to the house one night. I got in, started it up, and then locked the doors with the key fob and never had another problem.

If something like that happens again while stored in someone's garage, I may return to a dead battery. If I do unhook the positive connector, will the engine computer "learn" again well enough to drive it around?

I plan on filling the gas tank up full and adding a can of fuel stablizer to the tank just like I do to boat when I winterize it.

Thanks,

Daniel