Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

tail light completely off,but brake lghts work

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Default tail light completely off,but brake lghts work

I hve a Sonata 01. The break lights work,now the break/tail light use the same bulb. The break lights works just fine.
The left tail light was not working. A friend tried to run/split the working wires from the right side to the left. the left tail begun to work but only did for like 5mins.(both tail light workin)
Now both tail lights won't come on. We checked the fuses by making sure all power off, then attaching the electrical tester to battery-then pulling out every fuse to see of the light on the tester goes off.
The power fuse(23) cause the light on tester to go off indicating, a possible blown fuse.
First of all, how bad is it an idea to extend wires from the working side(right) to the left side(nonworking)?
Then what was done wrong to make both tail lights to completely go off?

Thank you very very much....

Old 10-22-2011, 01:04 PM

The bulb has two filaments, and I would guess the tail light filament was burned out on the left side as your original problem. I think the rewiring has created other problems causing both sides to go out. Restore the original wiring and start over.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Your friend doesn't know what he's doing. He created a problem were there wasn't any. First, put the wiring back to the way it was. Like Ken said, the bulb has 2 filaments in it. One for the brighter brake light and one for the dimmer tail light. Since the brake like worked but the tail light didn't, the lower powered filament broke while the higher powered one still works. The only fix is to replace the bulb.

Also, it's BRAKE, not BREAK.
Brake = to stop
Break = something is broken

Old 10-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Wink Tnx...

Thanks for responding. The car was taken to a shop by that friend and all works now....Not sure what the problem was that got fixed. To Nova.... thanks for the correction, but as you can see i initially spelled "brake" correctly but with the tension et all, i mispelled it later..

But thanks for the keen eye, in my grammatical error...