Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Wierd stalling, could it be sensor related?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Default Wierd stalling, could it be sensor related?

My Sonata (2000, V6, 2.5L) stalls often when it is idle at a red light or stop sign. When I start it back up, it takes a bit for it to start; after about 4 seconds of turning over it starts. But, when it starts, it feels kind of like I am stuck in 5th gear permanently because when I take off after it starts, it is really bogged down, almost like trying to release a manual car in 3rd gear. After it finally speeds up it seems it can only get to about 3rd gear. It does this often when it was hot or humid out.

I changed my oxygen sensors recently and my friend has a device to test the sensors, it reported that the Input Speed B Sensor was defective a long time ago. Could this sensor being causing this? This sensor has been reported defective for a while now, my car did do this at the time of testing but not nearly as often as it has lately. I actually had removed it a few months ago but this issue seems to be getting worse lately so I don't think it's related to this sensor. Any suggestions as to what this could be?

The sensor is located in the steering arm under the front right tire, it is referred to as the ABS Sensor but apparently this sensor also controls your input speed and causes odometer/speedometer to stop working, my odometer works off and on too, which is odd because the sensor is completely removed which means the odometer should never work.

I am out of ideas, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Trevor

Old 08-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Default RE: Wierd stalling, could it be sensor related?

There are a number of threads on the forum that discuss the same or similar problems. Use the forum search engine to screen for "input pulse generator" or "input speed sensor". The most detailed discussion is at:

https://www.hyundaiforum.com/m_7759/...or/tm.htm#8373